FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5950 Discussions

PLL driving ALTCLKCTRL routing CYCLONE IV E

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Folks, 

-Cyclone IV E 

I have a PLL whose output I feed to an ALTCLKCTRL IP with an enable, the output of which feeds a CLK output pin on the device. 

When compiling I get the following warning: 

warning (15064): pll "altpll1:b2v_inst1|altpll:altpll_component|altpll1_altpll1:auto_generated|pll1" output port clk[0] feeds output pin "sma_clkout~output" via non-dedicated routing -- jitter performance depends on switching rate of other design elements. use pll dedicated clock outputs to ensure jitter performance 

I dont see this warning when I leave out the CLKCTRL and therefore just feed the output directly to an PLL output (SMA_CLKOUT in above msg) 

What do I need to do to the routing to ensure that i can pass the PLL output through the CLKCTRL and to the PLL output pin without reducing performance? 

I have had a look at the assignments page, but I am a little uncertain what I need to set up, playing around with it just seems to result in unknown nodes (question marks)... 

many thanks for any advice 

David
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think I may have stumbled upon something... 

I have selected the CLKCTRL such that it is not driving the Global clock network but an external clock output. But this generates a different warning... 

Warning (10651): VHDL Assertion Statement at PULSEPICKER.vhd(92): assertion is false - report "MGL_INTERNAL_WARNING: ( The parameter value is not one of the pre-specified values in the value list.) altclkctrl|stratixii_clkctrl inst clkctrl1|ena_register_mode The value assigned is double register and the valid value list is none|falling edge" (WARNING) 

SHould I be worried about this, if so what do i do about it? 

thanks again 

D