FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5742 Discussions

Parallel Flash Loader Option Bits

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello, 

I would like to use a Parallel Flash Loader inside a MAXII CPLD to configure a Stratix III device. 

The manual (AN386) suggest how to use the parallel flash loader also to program the flash. I would not like to program the CPLD once only to configure the flash because it has a limited number of guaranteed program cycles. I would like to use some software inside the Nios II processor in the FPGA to configure flash. 

I am already able to write a RBF into the flash (using u-boot for example) but I have some problems to define the Option bits for the PFL. 

At page 6 of AN386 I see that bits 0-11 of the address are all set to zero and not stored. That's fine... but next page has a figure with bits 0-12 ignored. 

Another confusing bit is the bit 0 of the third byte (the one which configures the Page End Address). Is it a don't care? 

if anyone has already some experience in such kind of configuration... 

Thanks a lot, 

gabrigob
0 Kudos
0 Replies