FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5989 Discussions

Phase alignment reference using ALTPLL and ALTPLL_RECONFIG modules

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

My system contains a PLL linked to a PLL Reconfig module driven by a microcontroller via the Avalon-MM port. 

I used the AN661 PDF (altera.com/literature/an/an661.pdf Page 4 and 5) to understand the PLL Reconfig module interface and program it. 

I obtain the desired frequencies but I don’t manage to obtain a zero degree phase. 

The Phase related register at address 000110 is a write only reg and permits to shift the phase from the current value of the phase, am I right ? 

How can I know the current phase ? How can I align my outputs clocks to the VCO or the input clock ? 

I just want to align the low to high edge of my two output clocks (c1 = c0 / 8). 

Thanks for your help, 

Romain.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

First, a correction : for ArriaV family it's not ALTPLL any more, but ALTERA_PLL IP. 

Then in the ALTERA_PLL User Guide, it is explained that the pin reset, just reset counters and locked state, not the whole PLL and its config. 

So now, I apply the reconfig, then I reset PLL, and the clocks are all aligned.