cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Problem with i2c and fpga

Hi, 

I'm using an Altera Cyclone ll as fpga with a nios to communicate with a sfr08 sensor. 

I downloaded the opencore IP found in the wiki but i have a problem with it. 

I integrated it in the SOPC builder and generated the processor without problem, also the bdf file compiles without errors. 

I read the documentation but i'm not able to communicate with the internal registers of the module, probably due to a wrong memory address. 

Here is the code i'm using: 

//the i2c module in the sopc has the address 0x00101000; volatile int * red_LED_ptr = (int *) 0x00101040; // red LED address int * Control = (int *) 0x00101002; int * Send = (int *) 0x00101003; int * Command = (int *) 0x00101004; volatile int * Receive = (int *)0x00101003; volatile int * Status = (int *)0x00101004; int main(void) { int stato; *(Control) = 0x80; //enable the i2c core * (Command) = 0x90; //set STA bit and WR bit * (Send) = 0xa0; //device address with last bit 0 (write) do{ stato = * (Status);} //check status register for the TIP bit while ((stato & 0x02 )!= 0x00); // TIP == 0 --> trasimssion complete if ((stato & 0x80) == 0x00){ // if ack send register address * (Send) = 0x00; // register address * (Command) = 0x10; //set STA bit and WR bit } do{ stato = * (Status);} // TIP control as before while ((stato & 0x02 )!= 0x00) ; if ((stato & 0x80) == 0x00){ //if ack send data * (Send) = 0x51; //data to write * (Command) = 0x50; //set STA bit and WR bit } do{ stato = * (Status);} // TIP control as before while ((stato & 0x02 )!= 0x00) ; *(red_LED_ptr)= stato; // put the status register (with ack bit) on led } Any suggestion will be appreciate, thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

You don't need to set pointers to component addresses. Those addresses are defined in system.h file, so use them instead. Check the core examples, they're very informative.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thanks for the suggestion, i should think to it by myself. 

Even if i can't find the file system.h i was able compile the code without it and now it works. 

Thanks again.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

It's in the BSP directory.