FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

Query on PCIe DMA Engine

mrama13
Beginner

We have added DMA Engine to the existed PCIe Hard IP Core, changed the design according to DMA (Interface-2X4,128,125MHz, Address width-64(DMA Supports)) and try to do transactions with the external devices.

Here in modified, have configured BAR4(Base address register) for RD/WR Transactions with device.

• I can’t able to configure BAR0 Register for transactions as existed, if we enable Internal descriptor (because BAR0 is internally connected to internal descriptor controller block and it should be 64bit)
  • We can configure BAR0 for transactions as existed, if we disable the internal descriptor option( by configuring BAR0 – 32BIT Non prefetchable and BAR4 – 64 BIT Prefetchable)

Need clarification on descriptor controller part, for transactions from PCIe to any external devices.

Without enabling this internal descriptor can we do normal RD/WR operations?

Is it any external descriptor logic is required if we disabled internal descriptor?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

May I confirm, the device is Arria10

0 Kudos
Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

I also assume, you are using Avalon-MM with DMA

0 Kudos
mrama13
Beginner
0 Kudos
Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi ,

Sorry for the delay in response. Kindly find inline answers 

without enabling this internal descriptor can we do normal RD/WR operations?

>> Yes 

Is it any external descriptor logic is required if we disabled internal descriptor?

>> User can use the with their own logic.

Kindly find the reference for the above. Page no: 15

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/archives/ug-a10-pcie-avmm-dma-16.1.1.pdf 

0 Kudos