FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5890 Discussions

Ref Clock problem in the simple_socket_server exemple based on the Triple Speed Ethernet for Cyclone 10 GX Development kit through Quartus 18.1

ESama
Novice

Hello

I get the following error when I try to compile with quartus 18.1 the simple_socket_server exemple given for the Cyclone 10 GX dev kit :

"Error(18694): The reference clock on PLL "sss_qsys_inst|tse_0_tse|tse_mac|i_lvdsio_rx_0|core|arch_inst|internal_pll.pll_inst|altera_lvds_core20_iopll", which feeds an Altera LVDS SERDES IP instance, is not driven by a dedicated reference clock pin from the same bank. Use a dedicated reference clock pin to guarantee meeting the LVDS SERDES IP max data rate specification. "

The dev kit uses the same 2A bank for both the pcs_ref_clk signal and the SGMII signals and the pcs_ref_clk signal is connected to a dedicated clock input that should be well suited for that purpose.

• How can I solve this problem (with quartus 18.1) ?
  • If the problem is coming from the actual design of the cyclone 10GX dev kit card, what would be the best choice for the pcs_ref_clk pin and for the SGMII pins (for a new PCB development) ?

Very best regards

Happy new year !

Etienne

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Deshi_Intel

HI,

You can refer to below link for the solution.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

Nikolay_Rognlien
New Contributor I

Hi.

The link you provided is broken...

Do you have an updated link that works? I would like to see it...

Thanks

Nikolay

ESama
Novice
Hello Nikolay Please find below a new link to the zip file. https://we.tl/t-P3EMrZrg3x The original request were: Triple Speed Ethernet : Low data rate with Simple Socket Server exemple I 'm using the simple_socker_server exemple proposed with the Cyclone 10GX dev kit. The FPGA card is connected to a PC through a 1 Gbps Ethernet link. The exemple is working well with out any PB. In order to evaluate the data rate performance, I added in the SSSSimpleSocketServerTask a loop to transmit 10 000 time a buffer of 1 ko with the send() function. The transfer takes 8 s to be completed. By replacing the FPGA dev kit by a socket server implemented in a PC through the same 1 Gbps Ethernet link, the transfer takes roughly 0.2 s. Where does the problem com from ? Thank you for your help Best regards Etienne Samain SigmaWorks Le 18/02/2020 à 14:07, Intel Forums a écrit :
Deshi_Intel

HI Nokolay,

Yup, looks like the KDB link is broken. You can refer to attached pic for KDB detail first.

I will feedback to Intel IT to fix the link.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

Deshi_Intel

HI Nokolay,

The broken KDB link is now fixed.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

ESama
Novice

OK, Thanks

Best regards

Deshi_Intel

welcome !

Deshi_Intel

Hi,

Hopefully the KDB link works for you and clear your doubt.

For now, I am setting this long idle case to closure.

Thanks.

Regards,

Deshi