FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5986 Discussions

SerialLite II channel_up drops to '0' on burst of data

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I’m trying to bring-up a Transceivers link using the SerialLite II protocol between Stratix 4 (EP4SGX230KF40C2) & Arria 2 GX (EP2AGX260EF29I5) FPGAs. 

The FPGAs are placed on different PCBS: 

1. The Startix 4 is on a DE4 evaluation board. 

2. The boards are connected with a flat cable (on the DE4 side it is connected to the HSMB connector – J21 – on the upper third – pins 1,3 & 2,4). 

I followed the instructions on the user guide in my design: 

1. Generated the SerialLite II core and also a basic Transceivers Reconfig block, and connected them. 

2. I used the following configuration for the SerialLite II core: 

3. Data rate: 1000Mbps. 

4. Transfer size: 2 columns. 

5. Reference frequency: 100MHz. 

6. Bidirectional, 1 lane to each direction. 

7. I enabled frequency offset tolerance, though I’m not sure it is needed. I set it for 100ns. 

8. I didn’t change the default configuration for the Transceiver. 

9. Link Layer: Streaming. 

10. On startup, I provide the following initialization: 

11. The SerialLite II core’s gxb_powerdown & mreset_n are active for 4 mili-seconds. 

12. After 4 ms, the reset & powerdown are released, the SerialLite trains with the opposite side. 

13. The logic using the SerialLite core waits for a consistent “channel_up” HIGH indication (I saw that the core outputs HIGH when it is on reset, so after the reset is released the logic 

using the SerialLite wait a short period for the channel_up to be LOW and then waits for it to become consistently HIGH, meaning that the training is over and the link is up). 

1. The calibration clock & reconfig clock for the transceiver are fed from a 50Mhz clock. This clock is also used to control the SerialLite II initialization discussed on 3. 

2. Of course – when synthesizing, I ran the TCL script for timing constraints, generated by the megawizard. 

This design was simulated and seems to be working well on simulation – the channel_up indication is becoming high on both sides and each side transmits and receives the correct data from the opposite. 

But when trying to bring-up up on the PCBs, I encounter a problem. The training seems to be running correctly and channel_up becomes constantly HIGH, but as soon as I start transmitting a large amount of data from the Arria to the Stratix - the channel_up indication of the Arria drops to be LOW for about ~5 micro-seconds. After, It returns to be HIGH. This causes invalid behavior of my upper layer system using the SerialLite. 

Can you help me understand why is it happening ? How can I solve it ? What has been done wrongly ? 

I compiled & generated the cores with Quartus II 64-bit version 11.0 SP1. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
0 Replies