FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5748 Discussions

Signal problem, MM-SLAVE

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

My goal is to have a system with a Nios ii processor as a master. The processor should send data to 20 slave units, custom logic, PWM-generators. The data to be sent is just the top value for the PWM-signal. I'm completely new to this, so I've probably done tons of mistakes. Anyhow here's the VHDL code: 

----------------------------------------------------- 

entity PWMtest is 

Port ( 

EXTCLK_I : in STD_LOGIC; -- From the 50MHz clock generator 

PWM_O1, PWM_O2 : out std_logic; 

DATA_ARRIVED : in std_logic; 

DATA_IN : in STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(7 downto 0) 

); 

end PWMtest; 

architecture Behavioral of PWMtest is 

signal clk_50M : std_logic; -- we use this signal for clk 

signal counter : std_logic_vector(7 downto 0) := (others => '0'); 

signal pwm : std_logic; 

begin 

clk_50M <= EXTCLK_I;  

PWM_O1 <= pwm; 

PWM_O2 <= NOT pwm; 

process(clk_50M) 

begin --process 

if (clk_50M'event and clk_50M='1') then 

if counter < DATA_IN then 

pwm <= '1'; -- the pwm output is high 

else -- the rest of the cycle 

pwm <= '0'; -- the pwm output is low 

end if; 

counter <= counter+1; -- The counter just runs and runs and runs 

end if; 

end process; 

end Behavioral; 

------------------------------------------------- 

I want to add that VHDL-file in to a component but I have no clue how to get this work. I've tried to read: http://www.altera.com/literature/manual/mnl_avalon_spec.pdf but it's probably not meant to be read by a newbie like me, because I didnt understand much at all. 

Anyhow below have I taken a screenshot of how it looks in my SOPC-builder. What signals should I have if I wanna read the DATA and then perform a PWM signal with data from the nios processor? Would be happy if someone had a tutorial or anything easier than the avalon specifications. 

http://img695.imageshack.us/i/sopco.jpg/ <---- Screenshot of how where I am right now in my attempt to get this to work. 

Regards, 

Mr_embedded
0 Kudos
0 Replies