FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5954 Discussions

TSE with UDP without NIOS

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

i'm currently working on an implementation of a triple-speed-ethernet core, with use of a 1 Gbit Ethernet Interface, i use the SGMII interface to a phy. I have implemented the design of the TSE in a greater vhdl project with some other things around. 

I have searched the entire forum, but couldn't get the right answers. 

Here my problem: 

The aim is to send 32Bit Data per frame via UDP from the PC to the FPGA i should work on a GBit Ethernet. The implementation of the TSE with the rest of the parts of the design was no problem and the simulation worked fine, but somehow i have to send the data to the board and currently i have no idea. 

My knowledge of network technology is based only on the use of sockets in c programming, well it would be great if it could work so easy but... 

I know that there is a solution in the use of a Nios with nichestack TCP/IP, but i was asked that i should not use one (to much other things in the fpga). My problem now is how can i implement a stack or socket or something like that to send udp-packets from my pc to the board, the other way is actually not important. 

Well i don't want the exact solutions but some help or links to some knowledge would be helpful. 

Maybe some other way to send data from the pc over the ethernet..., but a solution with sockets would by great. 

This all is part of my bachelor work, i have good knowledge in c programming, and the vhdl basics worked fine until know but this is quite something... 

I hope that someone could help me. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Take a look at this page: http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/nios_ii_udp_offload_example 

There are hardware blocks that implement UDP as well as a light weight flow control/checking scheme. It's not exactly what you are looking for but it should give you some ideas.