FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5878 Discussions

Totally confused by the DDR2 high performance controller II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

The user guide from Altera is bad ! 

Who can teach me how to use the following inputs? 

local_address 

local_be 

local_burstbegin 

local_read_req 

local_write_req 

local_size 

local_wdata 

Who can show me a simple example that just write some data into the DDR2 and then read? 

The so-called user guide has just a lot of definitions, but no detailed examples!!! 

Thanks in advance!!!
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Why not to use SOPC/QSys and take out only Avalon-MM signals?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

thanks, but I don't know anything about SOPC/QSYS, and I don't want to get more confused.....

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Well, the Avalon-MM bus is way much easier to work with, so I think it'd be better for You to check it out :) 

Or if You really really don't want to use Avalon-MM, then download Avalon-MM memory master read/write examples. Those signals in Avalon-MM are probably the same as exported from the core generated by megawizard.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thanks again, but I really want someone can teach me how to use the high performance controller II directly.......

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

yes, I do look at the timing diagrams, but those diagrams are too "theoretical", I cannot produce the same diagrams in my quartus II.................

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

In addition, those timing diagrams are separate read or write operation, if you write and then read the same DDR2, the timing is a different story....

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

run the example top simulation?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

okay, I will run the example and try to learn something from it..... does it really help the understanding?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I also have a question about avalon-mm port of DDR2 HPC-II. 

What are settings for the following interface properties: 

1. burstOnBurstBoundariesOnly  

2. linewrapBursts 

I didn't find answers in Altera's External Memory Interface Handbook nor in the wiki mentioned in the post above.