FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5951 Discussions

VIP and NIOS2 don't work together

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi group, 

I am building a small monitor system using D5M and DE2-115. 

My current working code is like:  

D5M camera -> some processing -> Clocked_Video_Input -> alpha_mixer -> Clocked_Video_Output -> VGA port on the board. Images from camera can be displayed on an external monitor correctly.  

Then I tried pattern_generator -> alpha_mixer (controlled by a NIOS2) -> Clocked_Video_Output -> VGA port, and it also works.  

Now I am trying to combine these two, which is just to add the NIOS2 to control the alpha_mixer in the first design. And now I cannot see the output anymore. The NIOS2 core did nothing except initiating the alpha_mixer core. I don't know what's wrong with it. 

One thing I noticed is that the overflow signal from the clocked_video_input core went high.  

Anyone has some suggestions? thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

try to always use the test pattern generator, i think the mixer should have one

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply, mrbietola. 

I did try test_pattern_generator. I added 3 channels to the mixer, two were from test_pattern_generator, one were from my VGA data channel. The only thing the CPU did was to switch between these channels according to key press. I can switch between test_pattern_generator channels and display them correctly, but the image of my VGA data channel doesn't display right (I mean a black screen was shown) if I switch to this channel. If I remove the mixer and the CPU, leaving only my data channel in the path, then the image is good again.....
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try TO add a frame buffer before the mixer

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm having a similar problem with a Nios II interfering with a VGA driver that I wrote. The systems are totally independent of one another except for being contained in the same entity. I don't get it. Any thoughts?