FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5988 Discussions

Verilog - Digital Design Help!!!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am working on a de-serial Design IP module, and I have to collect information into a single register containing Header + Message + CRC. I am receiving serial data which will bean header of 8 bits and depending on my header bit there is a decoder which decides the length of each message and if CRC is enabled then then it might also follow by CRC bits(no lengths specified). I have to fix these variable (Header + Message + CRC) into a single register each will be of different lengths. So I am confused that how do I make a variable length register which can hold different lengths of (Header + Message + CRC).  

I do not want any padding bits as the messages of longer lengths are less and more messages are of shorter length which will just increase the memory size. 

I will later on add time stamp into this to make it unique. Please Help!!!!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does it need to be stored as a wide register? Normally you just deserialize the packet into memory and parse the data out from there.