FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

[Video IPs] How to properly switch between two video sources

ValerioC
Beginner

Hello,

for a design I am currently developing, I need to switch between two video sources (so between two Avalon-ST interfaces) at runtime. The "muxed" source will then enter a Frame Buffer and then be propagated through my video pipeline.

What's the safest way to do so?

Thank you in advance for the support

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ValerioC
Beginner

After some weeks I am reporting the solution I found better suitable for my purposes.

I am using a Video Mixer which is controlled at runtime through its Avalon-MM interface to configure either input_0 or input_1 in "consume mode" or in "enabled mode". The "swap" is performed in a "frame-aligned" way so it's safe with respect to the video protocol.

Hope this will be useful for someone in the future.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Deshi_Intel

HI,

I am not aware of any special design requirement as long as you still comply to the video interface protocol spec.

Anyway, let's wait to see if there is other experience video designer in this Intel forum community that can help to comment further.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
ValerioC
Beginner

After some weeks I am reporting the solution I found better suitable for my purposes.

I am using a Video Mixer which is controlled at runtime through its Avalon-MM interface to configure either input_0 or input_1 in "consume mode" or in "enabled mode". The "swap" is performed in a "frame-aligned" way so it's safe with respect to the video protocol.

Hope this will be useful for someone in the future.

0 Kudos