FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

What is DSP builder?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am wondering if i could solve certain problem using this tool. So i need to know what is DSP builder used for. 

Can i develop a Matlab script and using DSP builder to turn it into HDL, so i can use it as a block in my top-module in Quartus 2? 

Is this like a SOPC builder? making HDL based on my Matlab design? 

Michael
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

DSP Builder is a Model-based design high-level synthesis tool. It's supplied as a Blockset in Simulink. Users build schematic designs out of the DSP Builder blocks and the tool synthesizes the design to HDL.  

DSP Builder designs are thus in Simulink, rather than in Matlab.  

See DSP Builder Advanced Blockset information on the Altera web site, or the Altera Wiki under the DSPBuilder Category.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

DSP Builder is a Model-based design high-level synthesis tool. It's supplied as a Blockset in Simulink. Users build schematic designs out of the DSP Builder blocks and the tool synthesizes the design to HDL.  

DSP Builder designs are thus in Simulink, rather than in Matlab.  

See DSP Builder Advanced Blockset information on the Altera web site, or the Altera Wiki under the DSPBuilder Category. 

--- Quote End ---  

ok.. but i can turn Matlab script (.m file) into HDL then? if yes, can i expect all Matlab functions are supported ... like fft, fftshift, kalman, ..etc ? 

Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No you can't. If you want to do this, take a look at HDL Coder - more general purpuse, but less targeted and less optimized.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

No you can't. If you want to do this, take a look at HDL Coder - more general purpuse, but less targeted and less optimized. 

--- Quote End ---  

What do you mean by "less targeted" ? not very popular?  

I goggled the word "matlab hdl coder".. nothing positive came up, the page was filled with Simulink HDL coder. they are not the same, are they? 

Could you provide me the correct link to HDL coder intro page? 

Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

By less targetted I mean it produces generic HDL, as opposed to using detailsed knowledge of, for example, the DSP block configuration on each Altera device and what clock speeds different features can run at etc to choose the optimum configuration.  

It was my understanding the The Mathworks had a m-code to HDL flow too. You could try posting on their forum - the replies there are pretty quick.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

DSP builder provides a quick modeling way to build your subsystem. It is used with matlab and Simulink.

0 Kudos