FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

What is the max frequency that the FFT IP core can run on Arria 10, Stratix 10 and Cyclone 10?

VBart
Beginner

The FFT IP core document shows figures for Stratix5, cyclone5 and Arria 5. How about stratix10,cyclone10 and arria10? Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

As I understand it, you have some inquiries related to the fmax of FFT in 10 series devices. As I look into the existing user guide, it seems like we only have information for V series devices. As a workaround, you might need to create a simple design in 10 series devices, run through Quartus compilation to estimate the fmax. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let me know if there is any concern. Thank you.

Best regards,

Chee Pin

0 Kudos
VBart
Beginner

Hi Chee Pin,

Thanks for your reply,

I made a simple FFT design to compare 10 series devices as you suggested. Circuit consist of ROM and FFT. I simulated the circuit in modelsim to verify functionality.

After compiling design, I checked the Timing analyzer Fmax and it reported 509MHz for Stratix 10 and 532MHz for cyclone 10.

The "restricted Fmax" reported is 509Mhz for Stratix10 and 458Mhz for Cyclone10.

Is this normal? I was expecting Fmax on stratix10 to be much greater than on cyclone10.

Thanks

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for your update on this. I understand that you are observing fmax for S10 FFT seems lower than C10 devices. Due to no specific information on fmax, in the user guide, I am unable to comment if this is something normal or not. However, just for sharing purpose. Based on my experience with other cases, I have come across where customer mentioned that for S10 devices, it would require some hyper optimization to achieve optimal performance for their design. Since this is implemented by other customer, I do not have insight on how the hyper optimization is being implemented. Not sure if this is something helpful to you.

Thank you.

0 Kudos