FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Why does MegaWizard create so many subwire connections even for the simplest ALTPLL?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Why does MegaWizard create so many interdependant subwire connections even for the simplest ALTPLL ( One clock input -> One clock output )? 

altpll_component : altpll 

PORT MAP ( 

areset => areset, 

inclk => sub_wire4, 

locked => sub_wire0, 

clk => sub_wire1 

); 

BEGIN 

sub_wire5_bv(0 DOWNTO 0) <= "0"; 

sub_wire5 <= To_stdlogicvector(sub_wire5_bv); 

locked <= sub_wire0; 

sub_wire2 <= sub_wire1(0); 

c0 <= sub_wire2; 

sub_wire3 <= inclk0; 

sub_wire4 <= sub_wire5(0 DOWNTO 0) & sub_wire3;
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Because it does. If you're really annoyed with it, I suggest you raise a mysupport request (but Ill doubt you'll get anywhere). 

You could always instantiate the allpll yourself... if you dont mind messing around with the many parameters.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For FIFO ( made by MegaWizard ) there are no interdependant subwires. 

Maybe there is some hidden meaning in making interdependant subwires especially for ALTPLL?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ive seen subwires on all sorts of generated code. 

I dont really care, as it usually maps properly, and I only care about the top level. 

You're not supposed to modify generated code (and generated code is always rubbish).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I'm annoyed by a similar problem, perhaps we mean the same thing... 

Taking your PLL example with 1 clock input and 1 clock output, I always get the conduit signals "areset", "locked" and "phasedone" displayed in my Qsys system as well. And to successfully generate, I have to export these signals, even though they don't really exist :mad:! 

From my point of view, this is not just "rubbish", but a bug. I tried to use the "Remove Dangling Connections" function, but it is always grayed out - no idea when it would be possible to use it. 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7053  

Please let me know if you ment this, or if I'm talking about something differnt. 

Cheers 

Simon
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi,  

Please let me know if you ment this, or if I'm talking about something differnt. 

Cheers 

Simon 

--- Quote End ---  

No, I was talking about different thing ...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Haha you think the subwire thing's bad? All the new MF components creates dozens of systemverilog files. I have a design with 1200 megawizard generated sv files. TBH I'd just like those inferred out

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ALTPLL is rather simple and I just dont understand the meaning of subwires related to its inclk input. 

Why is it made so sophisticated? 

Or shall I just copy-paste them "as is" into my VHDL code and forget about it?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you shouldnt be copy and pasting any code generated by the mega wizard. You either instatiate the entity generated or instantiate the PLL yourself.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi,  

I'm annoyed by a similar problem, perhaps we mean the same thing... 

Taking your PLL example with 1 clock input and 1 clock output, I always get the conduit signals "areset", "locked" and "phasedone" displayed in my Qsys system as well. And to successfully generate, I have to export these signals, even though they don't really exist :mad:! 

From my point of view, this is not just "rubbish", but a bug. I tried to use the "Remove Dangling Connections" function, but it is always greyed out - no idea when it would be possible to use it. 

Please let me know if you meant this, or if I'm talking about something different. 

Cheers 

Simon 

--- Quote End ---  

And to add insult to injury - if one goes back and removes a clock output that clock output does NOT get removed from the system. Even though it does not exist, you have to export the conduit. 

The collection of defects surrounding the ALTPLL makes me wonder what 'alt' really means.
0 Kudos