FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5741 Discussions

Writing characters to LCD

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello all DSP Builder users, 

I have been trying for a long time to solve a state machine problem. Long time ago I found this simulink program written by a Xilinx developer for Spartan platform(pls google for the name aditya Xilinx and LCD. files are LCD_HOLA) I tried many times to adapt it to my Altera DE2 115 board, somehow I failed. I have been trying to develop a ready library blockset using this kind of LCD program to include in Simulink projects(Like the ones for DE2 board: leds,switches, push buttons etc). I'd be very happy if someone helps me on this since I spent too much time and almost gave up.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello Gariyak, 

Writing characters to the LCD goes far easier when you use the Nios II processor, because than you can communicate on a higher level. 

When using the Nios II/e and 32kB On-chip memory the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) enables you to use the alt_printf() function in an C-program to send characters to the display. 

Through a PIO interface you can communicate between the state machine and the Nios II to determine when the next line of characters is being send to the LCD. 

Regards, 

Johan
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thanks Johan for this solution but I want to include LCD blockset in Altera's DE2 Simulink library. If you examine the LCD HOLA code, it writes just the word HOLA but I want to able to write whatever I send to LCD. The person named aditya had explained the HDL code generation in detail in a word file for ex. removing floating variables and replacing them with integer values etc. But when it comes to implement the same thing with the Simulink MDL file, I fail to write to the screen. May be I'm doing wrong clocking or there is something missing for the pin input/outputs in the MDL file that I don't know. I'd be very happy if someone tries this in Simulink and reach a conclusion. Again I appreciate your effort to solve the problem.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I've added the LCD files. I'd be very happy if an expert tries to include the LCD blockset into the Simulink DSP builder blockset.