FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

aAlignmentErrors with Altera TSE

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all! 

I am using the Altera Triple-Speed-Ethernet IP core. 

The core configuration is: 

- core variation: 10/100/1000 Ethernet MAC with 1000BASE-X/SGMII PCS. 

- use internal FIFOs 

- use GXB transceiver block. 

The MAC options are: 

- include the statistics counters 

- enable magic packet detection 

- DO NOT inckude MDIO module (using my own controller instead) 

The FIFOs options are: 

- memory block: AUTO 

- width: 8-bits 

- TX depth: 2048 

- RX depth: 2048 

the PCS/SGMII options are: 

- enable SGMII bridge 

The output of the IP (GXB outputs) are connected to an external transceiver (NetLogic PUMA AEL2005 in sgmii pass-through mode so it's like there was actually no external transceiver) and then to a SFP optical module and an optical fiber. 

Here is my software configuration: 

np_tse_mac * fiber_mac_phy = (np_tse_mac *) (TSE_BASE_ADDRESS | 0x80000000); 

/* Init PCS */ 

fiber_mac_phy->mdio0.CONTROL = 0x00008000; // PCS CONTROL register: SW_RST 

while (fiber_mac_phy->mdio0.CONTROL & 0x00008000); // Wait until end of SW_RST 

fiber_mac_phy->mdio0.reg14 = 0x00000000; // PCS IF_MODE register: 1000BASE-X mode 

/* Init MAC */ 

fiber_mac_phy->COMMAND_CONFIG = 0x00002000; // MAC COMMAND_CONFIG register: SW_RST 

while (fiber_mac_phy->COMMAND_CONFIG & 0x00002000); // Wait until end of SW_RST 

fiber_mac_phy->COMMAND_CONFIG = 0x0100013B; // MAC COMMAND_CONFIG register: TX_EN | RX_EN | ETH_SPEED | PROMIS_EN | PAD_EN | PAUSE_IGNORE | NO_LGTH_CHECK 

I am able to send packets through the fiber, they are correctly received by the system at the other side of the fiber. 

My issue is that when the other system sends packets to me in the fiber, I get for every packet an aalignmenterror, and nothing comes out of the MAC. 

I was not able to find anything about the aAlignmentErrors either in the Altera documentation neither on internet, so I have no idea what can cause that and I to solve it. 

Have you ever had to deal with these errors? 

Thanks 

Julien
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

By the way the systems at each side of the fiber manage to link together: "Link Status" flag is high for each MAC. 

So it is really strange that packets can be transmitted only in one way and not in the other way...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

problem solved ! 

In my NetLogic PUMA AEL2005 configuration, RX(p) and RX(n) (RX is a differential signal) were inverted...
0 Kudos