FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

about mif file question

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello All advanced: 

i created a Block RAM IP from MegaWizard,and addition a XX.mif to RAM for initial value,and gererator XX.pof after compilation 

xx.mif content as below: 

WIDTH=16; 

DEPTH=1; 

ADDRESS_RADIX=UNS; 

DATA_RADIX=HEX; 

CONTENT BEGIN 

0 : 1234; 

END; 

1.i programming XX.pof to EPCS,and restart power,then FPGA working Ok, 

and read XX.mif value is 16'h1234(that is correct)  

2.i modify XX.mif value as below,and gererator new XX.pof  

after re-compilation 

WIDTH=16; 

DEPTH=1; 

ADDRESS_RADIX=UNS; 

DATA_RADIX=HEX; 

CONTENT BEGIN 

0 : aabb; 

END; 

3.i programming new XX.pof to EPCS,and restart power,then FPGA working Ok,but read XX.mif value is 16'h1234 rather than 16'aabb 

so how to solve this problem?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Perhaps Quartus didn't detect the change. Try deleting your /db and /incremental_db directories, recompile, and program the EPCS. 

Also I assume you are just testing for now and don't plan on instantiating a single word RAM/ROM (that's a waste of a memory block since you can use a flip flop for that). If you plan one using a single word memory so that you can use the in-system memory editor then you are better off instantiating lpm_constant since you can edit it as well over JTAG.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello Badomen: 

very gratitude your answer, 

i just use a single word for instantiating, 

actuality, i use memory editor to edit memory content 

so delet /db that is to say delet all file from /db directory,is correct? 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That's correct, make sure you delete those files with the Quartus project closed though. You can delete both /db and /incremental_db. By doing this you'll force Quartus to recompile everything. 

If you only need to edit one value you don't need an on-chip memory to do this. If you instantiate the megawizard "lpm_constant" you can use the memory editor to modify it on the fly as well and not waste a memory block in the process. I do this from time to time to inject bits into my hardware.
0 Kudos