FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP

decimal fraction

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

How can I convert the decimal fraction to the mantissa format (IEEE). The MegaWizard function demands the decimal number in binary form (3 = 0011, for example). So how can I convert 0.3 to mantissa without multipling on 10 or 100 etc? Other way, if i starting to multiply so i don't net to use mantissa, am i wright? 

My final target is to apply the next math function y = 0.201x + 7.899 

I supplying the "x" values. 

Can anybody help me with this question, please?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the input is an integer, which will always be binary. But in fixed point, the integer and fractional parts are just normal integers offset by 2^n. Have a read up on fixed point number formats. 

Are you sure you want to use flooating point?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am not sure :) 

Are u talkin about the fixed point of MegaWizard? As i remember, it's posibble when i am choosing to use ALTFP_CONVERT. 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suggest you read up on fixed point arithmatic 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/fixed-point_arithmetic 

All integers are in 2s compliment - there is no decimal representation in any electronics.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have already read about the fixed point. But i'll do it one more time.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

All integers are in 2s compliment - there is no decimal representation in any electronics. 

--- Quote End ---  

Not entirely true! 

Some old processors (eg the Singer 'System 10' and its descendent the ICL 'System 25') used BCD arithmetic and addressing.
0 Kudos