FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

dft problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

greetings, 

hi i have typed followin code to verify samplng theorem but the answer is coming something different.may i know the reason. 

clc; 

fs=800; 

t=0:1/fs:1 

x=cos(2*pi*400*t); 

xm=(fft(x)); 

k=0:length(xm)-1; 

subplot(2,2,1); 

stem(k,xm) 

xlabel('hertz') 

ylabel('magnitude') 

title('sampling') 

the result should come at only one frequency(i.e one line at frequency of cosine) as the signal is cosine but spectrum is continious. why ? 

the spectrum (o/p)is attached here 

thanks in advance
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

You're doing: 

x=cos(2*pi*400*t); 

The step is 1/fs, which is 1/800 = 0.00125 

This means, that from range 0 to 1, every 0.00125 step You'll get a new frequency (because argument 't' in cosine function is changing), that is: 800 results. So what do You expect in frequency domain to see?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

your frequency is half sampling rate and is one line mirrored 

plot(k,abs(xm));
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

You're doing: 

x=cos(2*pi*400*t); 

The step is 1/fs, which is 1/800 = 0.00125 

This means, that from range 0 to 1, every 0.00125 step You'll get a new frequency (because argument 't' in cosine function is changing), that is: 800 results. So what do You expect in frequency domain to see? 

--- Quote End ---  

but my signal is cosine and the sampling rate is also twice of highest frequency ,so corresponding i must gate only two frequency component.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

But I told you you have got it. Just your plot is wrong.