FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

how can Arria10 10GE MAC send the long packet ?

JET60200
New Contributor I

hello,  we rae using Ariia10 LL10GE MAC IP, and we need send a long packet with length of "17536 bytes".

to my understading, 10GE MAC can only send 1500 bytes as longest by default,  so how to config 10GE MAC to make it sending  "17536" long packet for us ? 

Please help & thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Deshi_Intel

Hi,

I noticed there is one register control called "tx_frame_maxlength" (0x002C) as shown in user guide doc page 77.

You can try change this register value from default 1518 setting to some other setting

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Hi,

Sorry, I take back my words.

I cross check with Ethernet frame spec as in IEEE 802.3.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
JET60200
New Contributor I

hi @Deshi_Intel ,

you said "1500 is the max frame length" for 10GE, right ?   but I see in some document, MTU=9600 is also supported by intel A10 FPGA, how could it reach that (I mean MTU=9600 bytes ) ?  

Pls double check from your intel inside.  Thanks

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

HI,

9600 is referring to jumbo packet. Standard packet still only support 1500.

As the Max Tx/Rx frame length bit are 16 bits register, so you should be able to still set it to 9600 but you need to take care of external FIFO depth size to be able to support this large data transfer.

I found out below KDB link that mentioned about the risk in transferring large packet size

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Hi,

I hope I have answered your doubt.

I am now setting this case to closure.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos