FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

how to use ip core in www.opencore.org

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

[h=2]http://www.alteraforum.com/forum//images/icons/icon1.png how to use ip core in www.opencore.org[/h]In my recent work , i found a very useful website :www.opencores.org (http://www.opencores.org/) ; 

But ,how to use these ip core ? the most cores there are based on WISHBONE . 

The only thing i know is that we can translate the wishbone to AVALON ,then add in sopc self component ; 

Then , the big problem is how to write drivers and main function ? 

can some one give me some suggestions ? 

thanks  

Tommei 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So you can implement the cores in sopc. Good. 

But the rest of the informations you provide are very few.  

What controller and OS do you want to use? Do you want to use the cores via PCIe or with an on-chip controller like NIOS? Which language do you want to use (C, C++, C# ....... )?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks ,Steffen .  

I just want to use it in nios2 IDE, are there some demos? 

we know that if we want to use the already-have components in sopc such as LCD12706 ,we have to add the proper drivers such as lcd12706.c and lcd12706.h to the main function in nios2 IDE ;but these drivers are already-have too;what if i use the self-components ? Do i have to write the drivers myself ?  

PS:you mean that the PCIe is working just as the Avalon Bus?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm working with the PCIe-Core as a slave. That means I have a Host-Computer, where my FPGA is plugged in as an extension-card. In my Case you can't use the Altera drivers for NIOS. So I had to write my own driver (based on pci_debug for linux). But if you want to use the NIOS as Host-Computer, the export-function to NIOS IDE should implement every driver for every (Altera) core you use in your sopc-design. Your self-made cores can't be supported by altera-drivers, because the only person who knows how the cores work is you. 

In short: If you write a sopc component by yourself, you also have to write the NIOS-Driver by yourself.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If its not provided from opencores.org (have you tried contacting the author?) you will have to write your own drivers.

0 Kudos