FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

interface tse mac +external UDP packet generator

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi all  

I created an udp packet generator with IPV4 standard in veriloh HDL  

I want now to interface this external module with the tse mac . 

my question is how to integrate this module in the top level of my design  

(I use the webserver design for DE2-115 board) 

which output or input in sopc builder I have to connect them to the output of my module . 

how marvell alaska 88e1111 interact with my design or just the TSE core do the job ? 

I'm sorry for those basics questions, I really need your help since it's my first project. 

many thanks in advance. 

john
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You will need to send your packets the the TSE core. This core uses Avalon Stream interfaces for packet transmit and receive. Your packet generator must provide an Avalon Stream Source interface and you can connect it to the TSE inside Sopc Builder / QSys.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank you for your quick reply ! 

how my design will provide an Avalon Stream Source interface ? :( 

the module has as input the data from application layer and the data from mac to udp stack  

and as output the data to the application layer and the packet from udp stack to the mac. 

its not just a connection to he some input and output in tse core ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can read the Avalon specification here (http://www.altera.com/literature/manual/mnl_avalon_spec.pdf) and the TSE datasheet here (www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_ethernet.pdf). 

If you have a look at your Sopc builder / QSys project you will see that the TSE's stream interfaces are connected to two DMAs. This is where you can plug in your module. 

You can have a look at the nios ii udp offload (http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/nios_ii_udp_offload_example) design example which also uses hardware to generate and receive UDP packets.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank you so much 

I compiled the wiki example and it seems like what I want to do 

and I read the avalon interface specifications but it seems a little bit difficult for me to assign the right signal to the corresponding interface. 

I still have one question please 

which is better add the whole module in SOPC builder or dive it in sub-modules like the altera wiki example ?  

many thanks in advance
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It depends on what you plan to do with your project on the long run. The advantage of developing it as a group of sub-modules you connect together is that you can rearrange them i a different manner in another project, if you have slightly different needs. 

If you don't need that I think it is easier to develop the functionality you need in a single module.
0 Kudos