FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5887 Discussions

mSGDMA & WinDriver Wizard Code

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am working on implementing a Windows driver for a PCIe (gen1x4) on a Cyclone V GX development board using Jungo's WinDriver. My current Qsys project consists of a Altera's Avalon MM PCIe hard IP, XCVR Rconfig controller, On-Chip RAM, DDR3 interface and the mSGDMA (configured for MM-MM transactions) from Alterawiki. I am using Jungo WinDriver for the driver development. I used Jungo's code generation wizard with the Altera Qsys customization option enabled to generate the initial driver code. I have been trying to figure out the test application and perform simple memory transfers with the mSGDMA with little success. I am going through the source code and am trying to understand what is exactly going on. I was hoping that someone could explain the following snippet of code (from the DmaDevicePrepare function) to me and what is being accomplished there: 

--- Quote Start ---  

/* Try to check the address translation path through */ 

/* (0x1000 is the offset for the translation register) */ 

WDC_WriteAddr32(hDev, AD_PCI_BAR1, 0x1000, 0xFFFFFFFC); 

/* Read the path through mask */ 

u32A2PMask = PCIE_QSYS_ReadReg32(hDev, AD_PCI_BAR1, 0x1000); 

/* Program the address translation table */ 

/* The PCIe core limits the data size to 1 MByte, so it only needs a 20-bit 

* address. */ 

/* Set the lower 32 bits of the DMA address */ 

WDC_WriteAddr32(hDev, AD_PCI_BAR1, 0x1000, 

(DWORD)pDma->pDma->Page[0].pPhysicalAddr & u32A2PMask); 

/* Set the upper 32 bits of the DMA address */ 

WDC_WriteAddr32(hDev, AD_PCI_BAR1, 0x1004, 0x0); /* Currently limited at 

* hard IP */ 

--- Quote End ---  

Where does this 0x1000 offset for the translation register come from? purpose of writing 0xFFFFFFFC to 0x1000?  

I see the comments there, but want to understand the necessity of this. I thought that configuring a transfer would be as simple as writing to the dispatcher Read Address, Write Address & Length registers and setting the 'go' bit... Any explanation/insight/tips would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The 0x1000 is the offset from the beginning of the specified address space (AD_PCI_BAR1) to write to. 

0xFFFFFFFC is the data to write to the specified address
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Also try posting in the "WinDriver Experts" group on LinkedIn.