FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5938 Discussions

Assistance Needed: Trouble Running Bare-Metal Code on second core Cyclone 5 HPS

ALTERA-INSUPPORT22
New Contributor I

I am working on intel cyclone 5 hps I have two cores in a processor Core 0 core 1, I want two code to run on two different cores core 0 and core 1 in bare metal .

When I run in jtag mode it works, for jtag i first debug using core 0 where i take core 1 out of reset it, than debug core 1 usign jtag it work

BUT, When i want to run both core usign qspi it only run core 0 not core 1

Here is the step i followed

Firsly, loading preloader
quartus_hps -c 1 -o P preloader-mkpimage.bin

I make an image from bin file of core 0 and place it to qspi

mkimage -A arm -O u-boot -T standalone -C none -a 0x00060000 -e 0 -n "baremetal image" -d core0.bin core0.img

quartus_hps -c 1 -o P -a 0x00060000 core0.img

I make an image from bin file of core 1 and place it to qspi
mkimage -A arm -O u-boot -T standalone -C none -a 0x00100000 -e 0 -n "baremetal image" -d core1.bin core1.img
quartus_hps -c 1 -o P -a 0x00100000 core1.bin

When i restart board only that code work which is in core 0, core 1 code not executing

I am setting cpu1startaddress 100000 apart from that in the code of core 0 also i am using alt_qspi function to to place bin file data in ddr, 

I want to run in smp mode so I also set required aux_control_register smp and fw bit as stated in tech ref manual  

alt_qspi_read((uint32_t *)BL_START/*ddr3 address*/, 0x100000/*qspi address*/, 0x40000);

In linker/scat file core 0 entry point is 0x60000 and

linker/scat file core 1 entry point is 0x100000

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Sorry to inform you that we no longer support SMP programming anymore.

It is possible but however we no longer provide support for this area of expertise.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

There is a a duplicate case created by you in the link below:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Programmable-Devices/Assistance-Needed-Trouble-Running-Bare-Metal-Code-on-second-core/m-p/1566931#M94445

I will proceed to close this case and we will follow up with the issue in the link above.

Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

If you happened to close this thread you might receive a survey. If you think you would rank your support experience less than 4 out of 10, please allow me to correct it before closing or if the problem can’t be corrected, please let me know the cause so that I may improve your future service experience.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
ALTERA-INSUPPORT22
New Contributor I

Hy @JingyangTeh , the link to the login support ticket is not working 

Regards

0 Kudos