Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SFava
Novice

Can the FIR II IP core coefficients be left uninitialized?

Hello everyone,

I am using a MAX 10 SC device.

I instantiated an FIR II IP core with 2 coefficient banks.

The implementation features the interface to let the coefficients being loaded through memory mapped accesses.

When I try to run the Analysis & Synthesis step on Quartus 17.0, the tool raises an error stating:

"Error (16031): Current Internal Configuration mode does not support memory initialization or ROM. Select Internal Configuration mode with ERAM."

I looked on other forums at it seems that the problem relies on the configuration option (Assignments > Device > Device and Pin Options...).

There I should select the configuration mode Single uncompressed image with Memory Initialization.

This mode is not available on MAX 10 SC (Single Supply/Compact) devices, hence I need to instantiate the IP without initializing the coefficient banks.

Is there any way to achieve this?

Best regards,

Samuele Favazza

5 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi, think the FIR II IP core contain memory initialization where you might need to modify the code in order to remove the memory initialization.
SFava
Novice

Do you refer to the automatically generated sources for the FIR II IP core?

If yes, could you point me to the code that I should manually change?

Above all I think the Quartus tool, should warn the user about this potential issue as it is aware of the device being used for the design.

Regards,

Samuele Favazza

JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Yes, I am referring to the generated file. Could you share with me the generated file?

SFava
Novice

Here you go.

Thank you for your time!

JohnT_Intel
Employee

HI,

If you go to "fir_tdm\fir_tdm\synthesis\submodules\" folder then in fir_tdm_fir_compiler_ii_0_rtl_core.vhd it will include 2 hex file which is needed to be initialize by the FIR II IP. I am not sure if you delete the initialization file then will the functionality works or not. I would recommend you to use DC device.