FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5922 Discussions

Can we use Quartus Prime transceiver toolkit from system console to measure eye/BER of 56G PAM4 signals in Stratix 10?

Akhila
Employee

Hi,

I would like to check whether we can use Quartus Prime transceiver toolkit from system console to measure eye/BER of 56G PAM4 signals in Stratix 10

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

As I understand it, you are inquiring if XCVR toolkit can be used to measure BER and plot eye for the 56G PAM4 in S10 E-Tile XCVR. Yes, you can use the toolkit for these. For BER link test with S10 PAM4, you may refer to the following how to video as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDyLj2-I12k

Please let me know if there is any concern. thank you.

0 Kudos
Akhila
Employee

Thanks @cheepinc_Intel​ .Yes, I wanted to confirm whether we can plot eye diagram of 56G PAM4 in Etile Xcr. The link test in the youtube url also use PRBS instead of QPRBS and all the other tutorials mention NRZ. I was confused to confirm and that's why question was raised.Can you please point me to any document which describe the on-die instrumentation /eyeQ facility for 56G PAM4 in s10 Etile ?Though the user guide generically mention transceivers,none of the docs point out whether there is any limitation for 56G PAM4

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee
Hi, As I search through the web, I could not locate any specific documentation on this. Based on my experience, I have seen test cases using toolkit to plot eye diagram for > 50G PAM4 with PRBS pattern. There should be no issue plotting eyeq for PAM4 in toolkit. Regarding the QPRBS, as I understand it, in toolkit, we only have PRBS pattern. I am not aware of QPRBS. Sorry for the inconvenience. Best regards, Chee Pin
0 Kudos
Akhila
Employee

Hi Chee,

Thanks alot for the lead

The below link says we have PRBS7Q etc for PAM4. I hope this validates the eye diagram plotting for 56G PAM4

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/quartushelp/current/index.htm#mwh1410384386941.htm

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee
Hi, Thanks lot for sharing the document. Based on this, it seems like for the PAM4, the toolkit will auto populate the PRBSQ for the data generation. There should be no issue with toolkit plotting the eye diagram for PAM4 signaling. Please let me know if there is any concern. Thank you. Best regards, Chee Pin
0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I believe the initial inquiry has been addressed. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos