FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Cyclone 10 GX Development Kit ddr problem

User1589866279049382

When i use bts to test the board.

In ddr test. It always show DDR Calibration Error.

Does any one ever meet this problem?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Deshi_Intel

Hi,

Byright dev kit BTS shouldn't be showing DDR3 calibration error unless you have a defective dev kit board.

1. May I know is this totally new board or existing board that have been used for sometime ?
  2. BTS is quite sensitive to Quartus version in used. Do you used the exact Quartus version which is Quartus Pro edition v17.1
  3. Another debug suggestion is to create DDR3 example design from EMIF IP following the DDR3 setting used in BTS design. This should help to isolate whether the issue resides in BTS or the dev kit board itself.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
User1589866279049382

Hi,

1. This is totally new board. It is my first time to test ddr function.
  2. I am use Quartus Pro edition v18.1
  3. Create DDR3 example design from EMIF IP is also get the same error.

Thanks for your help.

David

0 Kudos
User1589866279049382

Quartus Pro edition v17.1 show the same error.

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Hi David,

1. Can you share with me your dev kit board purchased invoice and board serial number so that I can check for eligibility of warranty claim ?

But before I can approve for dev kit RMA claim, I need to perform some debug with you first to ensure this is really defective dev kit board issue

1. I forgot to ask you is this an FPGA ES silicon board or FPGA production silicon board ?
  2. Have you cross check to ensure all the on board jumper setting is set to default setting location as per user manual doc ?
  3. Did you change any clock frequency setting on clock controller GUI ? Pls restore it back to default clock frequency
  4. Did you observe any potential physical damage or loose component on the board ?
  5. May I know how you validate DDR3 example design calibration failure ? Did you see afi_cal_success signal stay low while afi_cal_fail signal went high ?
  6. Does lowering down DDR3 operating frequency from 933MHz to 800MHz helps to make the calibration passed ? I expect 800MHz test run to fail as well if there is damaged chip on the board

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
User1589866279049382

Hi dlim,

Invoice and serial number send by message.

1. This board is for cyclone 10 gx evaluation, not for product.
  2. This is my current jumper setting and document default.IMG_20200520_184727.jpg
  3. This is my current clock setting.003.jpg
  4. No, In my first time use bts to test this board, it show failed.
  5. This is some code.

ed_synth  u0_ed_synth (

.reset_reset_n              (fpga_resetn  ), //               reset.reset_n

.clk_50_clk                (c10_clk50m  ), //              clk_50.clk

.global_reset_reset_n           (user_pb[2]  ), //           global_reset.reset_n

.emif_refclk_in_clk_clk          (refclk_emif_p ), //        emif_refclk_in_clk.clk

.emif_c10_0_mem_mem_ck          (ddr3_ckp   ), //            emif_0_mem.mem_ck

.emif_c10_0_mem_mem_ck_n         (ddr3_ckn   ), //                 .mem_ck_n

.emif_c10_0_mem_mem_a           (ddr3_a    ), //                 .mem_a

.emif_c10_0_mem_mem_ba          (ddr3_ba    ), //                 .mem_ba

.emif_c10_0_mem_mem_cke          (ddr3_cke   ), //                 .mem_cke

.emif_c10_0_mem_mem_cs_n         (ddr3_csn   ), //                 .mem_cs_n

.emif_c10_0_mem_mem_odt          (ddr3_odt   ), //                 .mem_odt

.emif_c10_0_mem_mem_reset_n        (ddr3_rstn   ), //                 .mem_reset_n

.emif_c10_0_mem_mem_we_n         (ddr3_wen   ), //                 .mem_we_n

.emif_c10_0_mem_mem_ras_n         (ddr3_rasn   ), //                 .mem_ras_n

.emif_c10_0_mem_mem_cas_n         (ddr3_casn   ), //                 .mem_cas_n

.emif_c10_0_mem_mem_dqs          (ddr3_dqsp   ), //                 .mem_dqs

.emif_c10_0_mem_mem_dqs_n         (ddr3_dqsn   ), //                 .mem_dqs_n

.emif_c10_0_mem_mem_dq          (ddr3_d    ), //                 .mem_dq

.emif_c10_0_mem_mem_dm          (ddr3_dm    ), //                 .mem_dm

.emif_c10_0_oct_oct_rzqin         (ddr3_rzq   ), //            emif_0_oct.oct_rzqin

.master_driver_msgdma_0_error_mon_export (test_status[0]), // master_driver_msgdma_0_error_mon.export

.master_driver_msgdma_0_status_mon_export (test_status[1]) // master_driver_msgdma_0_status_mon.export

);

// USER LED: High ON

assign  user_led[0] = !test_status[0];  // error_mon: high - error happens; low - error free

assign  user_led[1] = test_status[1];   // status_mon: high - normal status; low - time out

assign  user_led[2] = heart_beat_cnt[26]; // heart beat

assign  user_led[3] = heart_beat_cnt[26]; // heart beat

005.jpg004.jpg

as you can see user_led[0] is always on. so i think error happens.

6.  lowering down DDR3 operating frequency from 933MHz to 800MHz get the same erro.

Thanks for your help.

David

0 Kudos
User1589866279049382

This is document default

002.jpg

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Hi David,

Dev kit board has one year warranty coverage. I noticed your invoice is just dated on Oct 2019. So, you should be entitled for dev kit RMA claim

Let me check with Intel dev kit RMA support center to find out what's the RMA claim process then I will get back to you again.

Thanks.

Regards,

Deshi

0 Kudos
User1589866279049382

Hi Deshi,

Thanks again for all your help!

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

HI David,

This is to inform you that Malaysia is having long weekend holiday where next Mon and Tue are Malaysia public holiday.

Unfortunately Intel dev kit customer support agent is already out of office. So, most likely I can only get back to you by late next week.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

HI David,

Just when I thought Intel customer support team is already off for holiday then I just received their feedback :)

Below is the dev kit RMA claim process instruction.

1. Pls email to apgcs@intel.com with below details for dev kit RMA claim request.
  • Forum case 04644719
  • SN# 10CGX0000753
  • DK-DEV-10CX220-A (Qty 1)
  • SO# 16726978
  • Intel shipped out in Oct 2019
  • Issue with board:
  • Deshi (Intel technical support agent) have done debug investigation with customer and looks like something could be defective with this Intel dev kit board.
  • The DDR3 calibration test failed with default BTS software
  • I have verified customer is using correct clocking setting and all on board jumper have been set to default position 

Thanks and have a nice day.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
User1589866279049382

Hi dlim,

Just finished sending mail.

Thanks again for all your help!

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

You are welcome ! Hopefully the Intel customer support team get back to you soon.

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Alright, I am setting this case to closure.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
User1589866279049382

Hi dlim,

It has been a week since I sent the email to terasic.

But still no further instructions from terasic about RMA.

i don't know how much time it will take.

Does it usually take a long time for further RMA instruction?

Do you know any method that can help speed up the RMA process.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
User1589866279049382

Hi dlim,

Terasic needs the IPS# to proceed RMA.

Could you please give me the IPS#.

Thanks

​David

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

HI David,

Sorry as the dev kit RMA claim is handled by another Intel customer support department hence I am not sure about the processing time.

For the IPS number, let me clarify with the Intel customer support team again to see how to resolve this issue.

I will get back to you.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

HI David,

I have clarified with Intel internal team.

Your dev kit RMA claim IPS number is 521029.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
User1589866279049382

Hi dlim,

​I really appreciate your help.

Thanks again.

Hope this time everything were be fine.

​Regards,

David​

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Hi David,

Yup, hopefully the RMA claim can be process now.

Alright, for now I will set this case back to closure.

Feel free to re-open it if you still bump into issue.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos