FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Cyclone-V GT FPGA board cannot work

Sancy
Beginner

We purchased  one Cyclone-V GT FPGA board and found it cannot work now. The board heats heavily when powers up, I want to know what we can do next. 

The product info is as follows:

S/N: 5CPCIe00002360
MAC: 0007ED250a37
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Sir

Welcome to INTEL forum. We can help you with board return and repair (RMA). Could you provide the following for warranty checking before RMA process?

Name:

Email Address:

Company/University Name:

Dev kit OPN :

Serial Number : 5CPCIe00002360

A copy of invoice that shows time and date of purchase. You can reply/attach your file in private message.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Sir

Welcome to INTEL forum. We can help you with board return and repair (RMA). Could you provide the following for warranty checking before RMA process?

Name:

Email Address:

Company/University Name:

Dev kit OPN :

A copy of invoice that shows time and date of purchase. You can reply/attach your file in private message.

0 Kudos
Sancy
Beginner

Hi AabdRahman,

Thanks for your reply,please find the info below:

Name: Sancy Yang

Email Address: yangjun2@goodix.com

Company/University Name: Shanghai Chuansi Electronic Technology Co., Ltd

Dev kit OPN : DK-DEV-5CGTD9N

0 Kudos
Sancy
Beginner

Please find the copy of the invoice attached. The purchase time is 10/23, however, we received the FPGA board by the end of November. 

0 Kudos
Sancy
Beginner

Any updates on this issue? Looking forward to your reply soon.

0 Kudos
Sancy
Beginner

Can you help check whether my Cyclone-V FPGA board is under warranty? What we can do next? Thanks

0 Kudos
Sancy
Beginner

Dear Intel Support,

I have found the express information of the FPGA board, the invoicing time with our agent Shanghai Chuansi Electronic Technology Co., Ltd is on 10/23, however the actual date we received the FPGA board from our agent is 11/30, so the warranty time should start from 11/30. In this case, our fpga board is still in valid warrenty. Could you please give us the steps regarding how to start the RMA process, thanks very much. We are very urgent to send you the board for repairing. 

Sancy_0-1614137877994.png

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Sir

Thanks for your patience. Done checking with customer service team, your device is still in warranty. We will proceed with RMA proses. Before proceeding with dev kit RMA, Intel requires details information for RMA (Failure Analysis) request. The failure description you provided is too general to understand the actual failure behavior at your site. Intel requires details information. Please help to answer questions below in order for us to better understand your position.

1. What is the failure symptom? Please elaborate the failure symptom in detail. Provide picture if any.

2. When did the failure happen? How you discover the failure?

3. How did you determine the failure? Please elaborate the procedures you take.

4. Does the failure unit ever working before failure?

5. Did you swap the failure board with a known good board?

0 Kudos
Sancy
Beginner

Dear Intel Support,

Thanks for your quick reply. Please find my anwsers to the questions below. Looking forward to your comments. Many thanks. 

1. What is the failure symptom? Please elaborate the failure symptom in detail. Provide picture if any.

The symptom is that after power on, the temperature under the main chip is abnormally high, the onboard blaster downloader can not be recognized, we can not operate the FPGA board.

2. When did the failure happen? How you discover the failure?

About one month ago (2021/1/15), when we used the FPGA board as normally as usual, after restarting the power supply of the board, it was found that the blaster downloader could not be used. After the FPGA board was powered on for a period of time and then be powered off. The temperature of a certain area on the back of the FPGA was detected abnormally high. 

3. How did you determine the failure? Please elaborate the procedures you take.

After power on, the temperature under the main chip is abnormally high, the onboard blaster downloader can not be recognized, we can not operate the FPGA board.

4. Does the failure unit ever working before failure?

Yes, it can work normally before failure. 

5. Did you swap the failure board with a known good board?

Yes, after wap a good FPGA board, we can run our FPGA code normally. 

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Thanks for your explanation. You mention that ‘temperature of a certain area on the back of the FPGA was detected abnormally high’. May we know, how you measure the temperature under the main chip? Could you provide step and picture of your checking method.  

0 Kudos
Sancy
Beginner

Dear Intel Support,

Thanks for your reply, after we found that the onboard blaster downloader can not be recognized and we can not operate the FPGA board, we tried to analyze what happened on the FPGA board, when we hovered our hands above the main chip, we felt the heat blows up heavily.  Actually, we did not use thermometer to test the temperature, it is just from our physical feeling. 

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Thanks. From your visual inspection, are they any defect or burn at the board and around the main chip. 

0 Kudos
Sancy
Beginner

Dear Intel Support,

From my visual inspection, we did not see any defect or burn at the board and around the main chip. I attched a picture for your reference.

GT_Cyclone_V_FPGA_board.jpg

0 Kudos
Sancy
Beginner

Any Updates on this issue? Looking forward to your comments soon. 

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello

Thanks for your update. Please give me some time to check and open RMA request ticket.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello Sir

Thanks for your update and patience. We have opened a ticket regarding you issue. Contact local authorized Intel Distributors near you to request RMA together with the following information. Distributor link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/where-to-buy/overview.html        

a) Development Kit S/N : 5CPCIe00002360

b) IPS No. 00593897

c) The debugging steps done:

Name: Sancy Yang

Email Address: yangjun2@goodix.com

Company/University Name: Shanghai Chuansi Electronic Technology Co., Ltd

Dev kit OPN : DK-DEV-5CGTD9N

Cyclone-V GT FPGA Development Kit: power error

Customer request RMA.

Debug done:

Customer been working with the Cyclone-V GT FPGA Development Kit about one month ago (2021/1/15) normally as usual. After restarting the power supply of the board today, it was found that the blaster downloader could not be used. After the FPGA board was powered on for a period of time and then the powered off. The temperature of a certain area on the back of the FPGA was detected abnormally high.

Customer retest the onboard blaster downloader and cannot be recognized, they cannot operate the FPGA board by right it can work normally before failure.

Step verifies:

•           After swap a good FPGA board, they can run the FPGA code normally. Visual inspection done-No problem found.

We can’t replicate the issue with our board. We recommended for RMA as the board is working before failure.

0 Kudos
Sancy
Beginner

Dear Intel Support,

Thanks very much for your updates. I want to know usually after the RMA request is applied for, how long can I expect the local authorized Intel Distributors near to contact me and start the RMA process. 

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Based on my understanding, it will take about 2~3 working day. You Could also contact them for an update.

0 Kudos
Sancy
Beginner

Dear Intel Support,

According to the distributor list that you shared with us, can you tell me which one can provide the RMA service or assign one to me directly, I have tried to contact serveral of them, however, none of them can provide the RMA service. 

Sancy_0-1614844341765.png
Sancy_2-1614844525994.png

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

You can request RMA form distributor you bought the dev.kit before. From list, you could get Arrow Asia Pac Ltd., Digi-Key, Macnica Cytech Ltd and Mouser Electronics.

Provide them the:

a) Development Kit S/N : 5CPCIe00002360

b) IPS No. 00593897

c) The debugging steps done:

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

We have not heard from you and I hope that my last note clears up this matter. I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos