FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Cyclone V - JTAG ID Error

yanzhaopeng
Beginner

Hi,

I designed a circuit board using 5CSEBA5U23I7,encountered some problems:

1:In the Programmer,when I clicked on "Auto Detect", I cannot get the correct JTAG ID as shown in the picture.

2:When I use the JTAG chain debugger, the result is as shown in the attached picture.

3:The chip heats up severely, and the surface of the chip is close to 100°C. VCC_AUX is about 1.7A, which should be the source of heat.

See the attachment for the schematic.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Just would like to check, have you installed cyclone V during Quartus installation? When you mention about heat up, is happening when it is connecting to JTAG chain before doing device configuration?

Thank You.

0 Kudos
yanzhaopeng
Beginner

Hi, YuanLi  S 

Thanks very much for your reply.

I have installed cyclone V during Quartus installation. 

Heat up as soon as power is on.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Can you try to drag the bitstream (SOF / JIC / POD depending on your configuration scheme) into the programmer and see if it can be detected? Also, change the TCK frequency to 6MHz for your USB Blaster II.

Thank You

0 Kudos
yanzhaopeng
Beginner

Hi, YuanLi  S 

Thanks again for your reply.

I found the reason of the chip heating and wrong JTAG ID code.

If MSEL4..0=00000, once the circuit is powered on, the chip starts to heat up, and Quartus displayed error 209015.

(Error(209015):Can't configure device. Expected JTAG ID code 0x02D120DD for device 2, but found JTAG ID code 0x02DFA0DD. Make sure the location of the target device on the circuit board matches the device's location in the device chain in the Chain Description File (.cdf).)

If MSEL4..0=10010 or 10011, no heat after the chip is powered on ,and the error is disappeared.I can download the .SOF to the Cyclone V.

But I encountered a new problem, when I download the .jic to the configuration chip, it will prompt a failure at 97% of the download process. As shown in the attached picture.
The configuration chip I use is S25FL128SAGMFM000.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Can you change the TCK frequency of your USB Blaster II to 6MHz?

Thank You

0 Kudos