FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

HDMI 2.1 Design Example.

TPH_zenith
Novice

I am trying to use the HDMI 2.1 example design. I am following the instructions on page 52 of UG-20077, 2021.04.01. When I enter the Nios II terminal command on the Nios II command shell, step 4 in section 2.15.1, I get the message "command not found". How do I fix this"?

I have tried this with versions 20.3, 20.4 and 21.1 of Quartus. I have also installed WSL and Eclipse ISE. I was able to do steps 2 and 3 in the command shell without any problems.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
TPH_zenith
Novice

Hi,

I looked at chapter 2.1 in the NIOS II Software Developer Handbook and I had already done all 3 steps. However after step 3 there was a note shown below.

Note: • For the Nios II Command Shell, use all command line tools, as before, but you
need to add .exe to launch a Windows executable, like eclipse-nios2.exe or
jtagconfig.exe.

Therefore I typed the command "nios2-terminal.exe" instead of "nios2-terminal" and the command worked.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Deshi_Intel

Hi,

Looks like you may need to debug your NIOS connection before you can play around with HDMI example design.

I found below link.

If you confirmed you have installed everything correctly then the next thing that you want to check is your on board JTAG connection

• Pls try to reduce JTAG frequency to either 16MHz or 6MHz
  • Pls close other application if any that may consume JTAG connection bandwidth like system console, signal_tap, in system source and probe and etc
  • Also ensure you are doing direct JTAG connection to your board via USB blaster cable and not via remote JTAG connection through network

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
TPH_zenith
Novice

In the link above it stated that "some commands require the .exe to be granted and some do not." What does granted mean and how do you do that?

Also how do I tell if I have installed the additional distro packages required for Nios II EDS? What are distro packages?

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

HI,

If you click on the NIOS II Software Developer handbook link - it will bring you to

• chapter 2.1. Installing Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on Windows
  • All the required distro packages and command is mentioned in step 3.

In short, pls follow the guideline in chapter 2.1 for proper WSL installation.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
TPH_zenith
Novice

Hi,

I looked at chapter 2.1 in the NIOS II Software Developer Handbook and I had already done all 3 steps. However after step 3 there was a note shown below.

Note: • For the Nios II Command Shell, use all command line tools, as before, but you
need to add .exe to launch a Windows executable, like eclipse-nios2.exe or
jtagconfig.exe.

Therefore I typed the command "nios2-terminal.exe" instead of "nios2-terminal" and the command worked.

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Hi,

Good news indeed.

So after that, are you able to resume back HDMI example design testing ?

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
TPH_zenith
Novice
0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Great !

Alright, I am now setting this case to closure.

Feel free to post new forum thread to get help if you still have further enquiry in future.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos