FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Hello. Running fpga example "MAX 10 User Flash Memory(UFM) Write Operation" on Arrow DECA Development Kit. Problem is the signals from Signal Tap during write operation. Only read operation shows. Is it because of the jtag (built in for deca) ?

nwee0
Beginner

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
nwee0
Beginner

Hello WolfGang. Yes , had use onchip flash in the design. Click on the Data for source[1] to change the value for 0 to 1 to enable write operation.After a while, change back the source[1] value to 0 to disable write operation. But the write signals from signal tap does not shows ? Do that for read , read signals from signal tap shows.

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi nwee0,

Did you disable the write protection mode? You need to Disable the write protection (write 0 to disable) first before you write into the MAX 10.

cheers

0 Kudos
nwee0
Beginner

Hello WolfGang. Yes , write '0' to disable write protection. Writing incremental and reading incremental is alright. Just signal tap waveform doesnt shows during write but read shows. Click on the Data for source[1] to change the value for 0 to 1 to enable write operation.After a while, change back the source[1] value to 0 to disable write operation. But the write signals from signal tap does not shows ? Do that for read , read signals from signal tap shows.

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi nwee0,

I'm apologize for late reply. I didn't realize your reply.

Can you specified what data you want to write? and to which particular address?

(I cannot find the data that you tried to write in top.v)

Cheers

0 Kudos
nwee0
Beginner

Hello Shafiq . Able to see the write process waveform during incremental write procedure . I basically redo the project and quartus simulation run able to show waveform during incremental write . Thx for the reply. But got question on onchipflash simulation model.

Question : When we create onchipflash memory with simulation model . Can we instantiate the onchipflash and independent simulate it with modelsim (standalone) ? Meaning under modelsim simulation , we write testbench and wrapper for onchipflash ; instantiate the onchipflash model and writing/reading to the memory model ? What are the necessary files for simulation ? Do u have simple example for reading/writing to the onchipflash model (modelsim verilog instatiation) simulation ? I would like to create a memory controller state machine just to access particular address to the onchipfalsh memory.

Thanks .

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi nwee0,

I'm sorry for late reply.

I have not never tried to simulate on chip flash with modelsim(standalone) before.

Based on my experience, simulation model as a whole (I meant is design created with onchipflash IP) is possible. For standalone, I dont think it is possible. You can try it at your own risk.

For example/reference wise, we do not have the similar request for your reference.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
nwee0
Beginner

Hello tried using altera-modelsim tools but run into instantiation error "# ** Error: (vsim-3033) D:/ProjectUFM/max10_flash/ufm_demo/synthesis/submodules/altera_onchip_flash.v(309): Instantiation of 'altera_onchip_flash_block' failed. The design unit was not found." ? Have tried example in forum to resolve it but cant ? Could u have a look why it is not instantiate correctly ?

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi nwee0,

I'm apologize to take so much time to debug your issue.

You have instantiate the IP correctly. However, the RTL of On Chip Flash IP is encrypted. Therefore, the ModelSim cannot find the altera_onchip_flash_block because the RTL of On Chip Flash IP is encrypted.

Thus, it is not possible to simulate this IP.

My recommendation is try to use SignalTap to simulate this design.

Cheers

0 Kudos
nwee0
Beginner

Hello Shafiq. How about the generated simulation model of the on chip flash (attached picture) ? Can we use that generated model ?

May I know the RTL of On Chip Flash IP is encrypted is it because we use the free quartus version (meaning lite version) ?

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi nwee0,

How about the generated simulation model of the on chip flash (attached picture) ? Can we use that generated model ?

I dont think you can generate model using this. Have you tried it?

I know the RTL of On Chip Flash IP is encrypted is it because we use the free quartus version (meaning lite version) 

No. The RTL of On Chip IP is encrypted because it is a protected IP by Intel.

Cheers

0 Kudos