FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5281 Discussions

How do I make a I2S transmitter on the DE0-Nano?

SFitz3
Beginner

I am trying to transmit a square wave in I2S for the CS4334 DAC, but I do not understand the timing behind it. The code I have so far doze not work.

Music.v

module Music(input wire clk, output reg SDATA, output reg SCLK, output reg LRCK, output reg MCLK, output reg[7:0] debugs); reg[23:0] PCM[0:4]; initial begin $readmemh ("pcm.mem", PCM); end     reg[31:0] Mcounter; //Master Clock Counter reg[31:0] Scounter; //Serial Clock Counter reg[31:0] Lcounter; //Channel Counter always @ (posedge clk ) begin //50000000 hertz //Create MCLK if(Mcounter == 195) begin Mcounter <= 0; MCLK <= !MCLK; end else begin Mcounter <= Mcounter + 1; end //Create SCLK if(Scounter == 2083) begin Scounter <= 0; SCLK <= ~SCLK; end else begin Scounter <= Scounter + 1; end //Create LCLK if(Lcounter == 50000) begin Lcounter <= 0; LRCK <= ~LRCK; end else begin Lcounter <= Lcounter + 1; end end     reg[31:0] byte; reg[7:0] serialBit; reg[23:0] tmp; //Serial Signal Generator always @ (negedge SCLK) begin if(serialBit == 23) begin serialBit <= 0; if(byte == 4) begin byte <= 0; end else begin byte <= byte + 1; end end else begin serialBit <= serialBit; end SDATA <= ((tmp & (1 << serialBit)) >> serialBit); end   always @ (*) begin tmp = PCM[byte]; end endmodule

pcm.mem

FFFFFF FFFFFF 000000 000000

Is there any documentation about I2S.

Sorry if this question is posted in the incorrect spot because I did not know where to post it.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Are you trying to connect to the GPIO or the ADC of the DE0 Nano?

Regards.

SFitz3
Beginner

I am connecting to the GPIO

EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Have you assign the pins correctly?

If you are designin using Qsys/Platform Designer, make sure when you enable the GPIO's in the peripheral pins in Qsys/Platform Designer and that you update the Assignment editor page to include your linked pin.

i2s document to refer, De0 nano is using Cyclone V so you can refer:

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Projects/SodiaALSAaudioExampleDesign

Regards.