FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

How to configure Cyclone 10 LP with Active Serial Configuration?

DDomm1
Beginner

I have a custom board with a Cyclone 10CL016 and EPCQ16A. I can generate a .pof file from Quartus and using a USB Blaster I can program the EPCQ16A. But the Cyclone 10 never configures when I apply power.

I have read everything I can find with regards to active serial configuration and pin IO on the Cyclone 10. I have verified VCCINT pins (1.2v), VCCIO pins, (3.3v) VCCA pins (2.5v) and Ground pins. I have verified MSEL pins (set them to 010 and tied to VCCA).

It acts as though it is never properly coming out of POR? I say this because nConfig (which is pulled up to VCCIO 3.3v) sits at 2v and nStatus stays low. Nothing else happens. Signals like DCLK etc. appear to sit at 1.2v

We have used active serial configuration since the Cyclone I with great ease and success so this attempt to use Cyclone 10 has us stumped. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi David,

For active serial configuration, you will need to generate JIC programming file instead of POF programming file. Can you try that?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/mwh1410805299012.html#mwh1410805294925

Regard,

YL

0 Kudos
DDomm1
Beginner

Perhaps I am confused about the configuration of the Cyclone 10 devices. I can create a .JIC file but I believe this does not help me. (The Quartus Programmer does not even allow to select a .jic file when the hardware is a USB Blaster).

The generation of a .JIC file seems to require different programming hardware? And a JTAG connection?

To save space we do not have a JTAG connector on the custom board. We only have a 10-pin header which is connected to an EPCQ16A and to the 10CL016Y. We have always used a USB Blaster to program the serial configuration device (e.g. EPCS4 or EPCQ16). On power up (based on MSEL pins), the FPGA would program its SRAM via active serial configuration with data from the configuration device (EPCS or EPCQ).

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi David,

Since you are programming the programming file to EPCS4 / EPCQ16 directly, i would suggest to generate RPD file (in big endian order) and then have it programmed to EPCS4 / EPCQ16. Can you give it a try?

Below is the method to generate RPD file:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd11182013_802.html

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
DDomm1
Beginner

I appreciate all the advice and help. I have found the solution. I neglected to say in my original question that I am using the EQFP 144 pin package. I did not realize that this package has an exposed ground pad on the back of the chip which MUST be connected to ground. I just wish the documentation had stated this in big bold letters (maybe listed as an "extra" pin number 145). Anyway, we cnc'd a precise hole through the back of the prototype board and soldered a ground wire to the pad and the Cyclone 10 configures on power up just fine. We will fix this on future production boards to be wave soldered to a ground pad.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi David,

Apologize for any inconvenient caused, i will convey this feedback to internal team and we will look into it.

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos