FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

How to program Cyclone10GX development kit PFL NOR flash?

Nikolay_Rognlien
New Contributor I

A customer is having problems programming the Numonyx flash (MT28EW01GABA1LPC) on the Cyclone10 GX development kit.

The Max10 PFL design appears to function correctly until the customer tries to program a .pof file to address 0x0. Configuring the C10GX via FPP naturally fails, since there is no valid data in the flash.

Using the quartus_pgm from command line provides more information about progress, and we can see it successfully deletes all the flash sectors from 0x0 to 0x0FFC0000.

First attempt of programming data into the flash at 0x0 fails with the following message:

Info (209005): Programming status: programming flash device 1 (Numonyx 28F00AM29EW) at device chain position 1

Info (209005): Programming status: programming flash memory at byte address 0x00000000

Error (209012): Operation failed

The .pof file is created with Quartus Prime Pro 19.1 using the following parameters:

CFI_2Gb, Passive Parallel x16

Any ideas on what may be wrong and what to check ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Welcome to INTEL forum. May I know, which PFL NOR flash IP you use. PFL 1 or PFL 2. And may I know, Numonyx flash (MT28EW01GABA1LPC) used CFI_1Gb but your setting CFI_2Gb, Passive Parallel x16.

0 Kudos
Nikolay_Rognlien
New Contributor I

There are two MT28EW01GABA1LPC in parallel making a total of 2Gb with 32bit wide databus.

Flash_schematic.png

0 Kudos
Nikolay_Rognlien
New Contributor I

Hi AAbd.

The PFL is the original design shipped with the Cyclone10 GX dev kit. I don't know which PFL version it is... Does it say somewhere?

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Could you help verify the Switch and Jumper Settings are in default factory switch settings for the Intel Cyclone 10 GX FPGA Development Kit. You can refer here (3.2. Default Switch and Jumper Settings) https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-c10-gx-fpga-devl-kit.pdf

0 Kudos
Nikolay_Rognlien
New Contributor I

Yes, all switches and jumpers are set to factory default settings.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Could you help verifying your OPN number that you use and step to convert the .sof files to a .pof in user guide UG-01082 | 2019.02.19. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_pfl.pdf

0 Kudos