FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

Intel FPGA Arria 10 GX Dev kit - Gen3 card could not been detected while inserting PCIe extension cable adapter

HungLam
Beginner

Hi all,

In order to extend pcie connector from end point to host, I have used the extension cable adapter including ( host gen3 switch based adapter, ipass cable 3m and an endpoint adapter).

I bought them from OSS, here are the links products used:

https://www.onestopsystems.com/product/pcie-x8-gen3-dual-port-cable-adapter

https://www.onestopsystems.com/product/pcie-x8-gen3-embedded-cable-adapter

With above system setup, I am facing a problem that if FPGA bit file programmed to internal RAM and run from there, when host boots up, it could not detect FPGA card ( neither gen3, nor gen2/gen1), very few time host detected fpga card, not stable. Looks like there is a problem during link training btw host and endpoint device.

However it is working perfectly when insert fpga card directly to host system without extension adapter. ( With above set-up, it has only worked when FPGA bit file is programmed to ASx4 Flash, for testing purpose I just would like to programmed to fpga internal RAM only).

I have discussed with OSS technical team, it seems the problem with Arria 10 only.

With the same set-up, I have changed to Cyclone V GT dev kit, pcie x4 gen2, it works no matter whether FPGA bit-file in Flash or internal RAM.

Anyone has faced this problem earlier, please share your solution.

Thanks,

Lam

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

Do you see the link-up problem if you program the FPGA first, and then perform a reboot of the host PC?

You may also need to capture the signals below to understand what is going on during the link training:

currentspeed[1..0]

ltssmstate[4..0]

lane_act[3..0]

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
HungLam
Beginner

Thanks SengKokL,

I observed power/link leds from both host/target adapter cards, they were at the right states, nothing abnormal, but endpoint device could not been detected. I haven't probe the signals as you suggested, I have also planned for the next steps.

0 Kudos
HungLam
Beginner

I have tried to start-up host system right after FPGA bit file programed completely ( when Quartus programmer in between 95% to 100%), since I thought of asynchronous issue. FPGA gen3 card could been detected some times, but not always.

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Thanks for the update.

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

If further support is needed in this thread, please post a response within 15 days. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions. If you have other questions, please open a new forum thread. 

0 Kudos