FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Issue with algorithm

CLyna
Beginner

I have been working on a version of the AES encryption algorithm, but the output waves are not matching up to what they should be i have included screenshot of the wave an the code, any help would be great as i have been stuck on this for a while the three modules byte substitution, row shifting and mixed columns are working correctly the issue seems to be lying with the state machine and key generator module. should i leave the load at one constantly? if i do it gives ten rounds out which is correct. But if i have it as a pulse it gives 40 outputs i am confused the code seems correct but it isn't functioning as so? Any help would be great. I have included a pdf with the codeoutputdiagram.PNG

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CLyna
Beginner
ControllingStateMachine: process(CLOCK) begin if rising_edge(CLOCK) then --sets the round value to 11 so it will reset the counter. if RESET = '1' then RoundNum <= x"a" & "01"; else --if it is round eleven then reset the round counter. if RoundNum = (x"a" & "01") then if LOAD = '1' then RoundNum <= "000000"; end if; --if the round number is not equal 11 then increment the counter elsif RoundNum /= (x"a" & "01") then RoundNum <= RoundNum + '1'; end if; end if; end if; end process; --Good shows when the 10th round has been iterated by the value 1 else it shows a 0. GOOD <= '1' when RoundNum = x"a" & "00" else '0'; --Complete shows the value 1 after the 10th round is complete Complete <= '1' when RoundNum = x"a" & "01" else '0';

sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Just looking at your code, you have an if check on LOAD equal to 1 but you don't specify what to do if LOAD equals 0. That's going to create a latch and could be the cause of your issues.

You always want to have a final "else" clause to cover all cases.

#iwork4intel

CLyna
Beginner

IF i leave load on one will it constantly stay on round one? I want it to stay on one but to then jump from that if statement and continue the round count? i have an endif straight after?

KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Have you try sstrell's suggestion?

Thanks.