FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5227 Discussions

Possible low frequency (<400kHz) capability on the THDB_ADA board?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I know there is a way to desolder a transformer on the DAC part of the THDB_ADA board, to achieve low frequency single ended output. 

Can a similar thing be done to the ADC circuitry in order to achieve ADC capability down to about 20-30 Hz? 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suggest to refer to the AD9248 datasheet for possible solutions. There's an option to use the ADC in single ended configuration, although it involves a certain performance degradation. It would need an additional voltage divider bypassing the +input to Vcc/2 and a large input coupling capacitor, e.g. 10 µF ceramics. 

My personal favourite is a DC capable fully differential amplifier as single ended to differential converter, as used in the AD9248 evaluation board, the schematic is also included in the datasheet.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

can you guide me how to desolder a transformer on the DAC and ADC part . How to solder a new transformer ?? 

Did you find any solution for the low frequency range. I am trying to load a 100 Hz signal into the ADC.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There are no suitable transformers to be used instead of the RF transformer. 

A simple modification could be made like below, needing an input Signal with DC Offset. 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11278
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using a Stratix III DSP development board. Our HSMC AD/DA data conversion card consists of MCL 045 transformer of TT1-6 for each ADC and DAC. For this transformer what modification is required for low frequency input ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is the modification needed for the DAC?