FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5230 Discussions

Cyclone III Development Board - Video Image Processing Suite - Hardware revisions?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm using the Cyclone III Development Board and the Video Image Processing Suite for many years. 

I use the VIP-reference-design on some boards from the year 2007 a it's working fine. 

In the near future I ordered three new boards with hardware from 2011, but te VIP-reference-design isn't working on them. 

It works only on the old boards. I cannot see many differences on the boards. 

I'm using the orginal .sof from Altera and a self-compiled .sof. 

Using the self-compiled .sof I can figure out, that the Nios-programm doesn't start properly. 

Nios can program and verify the .elf - but it doesn't start. 

Is there a (relevant) change in the harware revision? 

Best regards 

Mark
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Update: 

The new Cyclone III development boards use new hardware components. The hardware revision didn't change (yet Rev. E). 

The DDR2 changed from Micron MT47H32M16HR-3:F (8 Meg x 16 Bit x 4 banks = 512 Mbit = 64 MB ) to MT47H64M16HR-25E:H (8 Meg x 16 Bit x 8 banks = 1024 Mbit = 128 MB ). The old ones are DDR2-667 (3 ns), the new ones are DDR2-800 (2.5 ns) 

Changing the timing in SOPC-Builder / QSYS and adding an additional bank adress fixed the Problem wit the DDR. 

The SDRAM/UTRAM was a Samsung K1B3216B2E -BI70. The new one is a Micron MT45W2MW16BGB-701 IT. 

The configuration registers are different. So if you are using the SDRAM asynchronously,it works fine. Using Bursts (like the demo-designs) it fails.  

I didn't found a solution for this yet. I don't find a datasheet for the old K1B3216B2E, so I can't change the VHDL-code for the Demonstration/example code. 

Possibly someone else can find a solution. 

Best regards 

Mark
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

solution for the DDR2-RAM (no solution for the utram yet): 

The are two possible solutions for this issue. 

The first solution means compatibility with the old Hardware, the second solution will use the new full memory of DDR2-RAM (bottom and top) 

preparatory work for both solutions: 

Go to pin planner and add the node: "memtop_ba[2]" to PIN_C23, IO-Standard SSTL-18 Class I, 12mA 

Go to pin planner and add the node: "membot_ba[2]" to PIN_AH4, IO-Standard SSTL-18 Class I, 12mA 

First solution (compatibility with old boards) 

-simply tie the new both Pins to ground 

Second solution (use the new more memory) 

-go to QSYS / SOPC-Builder => DDR2 SDRAM Controller with Altmemphy => Memory Settings => modify parameters => bank address width => Change from 2 to 3 

repeat it for both (top and bottom) DDR2 

Best Regards 

Mark