FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5275 Discussions

Sharing SDRAM by two NIOS cores

anaza3
Novice

Hi,

I am working on DE0-CV board. I am trying to share SDRAM by two NIOS cores. They don't need to share data, basically they just need to partition the SDRAM and run two different applications that I can't fit on onchip memory. My current top design is :

1.png

I don't know I can add a shared memory controller in this design. I tried to add a controller in each core and connect each of them to SDRAM inputs but apparently that doesn't work(only one controller can be connected to input). If I need to connect both of them to one controller, I don't know how to connect core1.datamaster to onchip memory, etc. and also export to connect to the shared controller in higher level. I would appreciate if someone can help me with this. I am attaching my current design.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Deshi_Intel

HI,

DE0 board only contains 1 SDRAM memory device interface. Therefore, you can't create 2 SDRAM IP in QSYS.

It would be easier to hook up everything under same QSYS interface rather than create sub-block design (core1, core2) to verify the design connection first. It's easier to manage to QSYS addressing as well.

For instance, using core1 sub-block design. I tried out following combination

• 1 NIOS to connect to both on chip RAM and SDRAM (ok, no error)
  • 2 NIOS to connect to same on chip RAM (ok, no error)

You can read more about QSYS usage guideline in below link as well

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

Deshi_Intel
posted a file.