FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Simulating Designs - NiosII on other simulators

prateekmohan
Beginner

Hello,

I was looking at this guide : Intel Quartus Prime Pro Edition User Guide: Third-party Simulation in order to see how I can simulate designs outside of ModelSim and I see on Section 1.5.3 the description of how to simulate NiosII modules. Is it possible to simulate this on other simulators as well? Or can it only be simulated on ModelSim?

I was looking from this guide Embedded Design Handbook (intel.com) section 6.5 to learn how to simulate NiosII designs, but it only mentions to use ModelSim. 

Regards,

Prateek

0 Kudos
5 Replies
prateekmohan
Beginner

Hello, still wondering about this - anyone have a clue about this?

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @prateekmohan,

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum, hope this message find you well and apologies for the delayed in response.
There are other simulation support such as QuestaSim, Xcelium (logic), Riviera pro and etc
You are on the right track referring to the third-party guide and unfortunately we do not have detailed guide for each of those simulator.
However for QuestaSim, you can refer to some helpful to setup here and also this video here might be useful to get started too.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
prateekmohan
Beginner

What I am more interested in understanding is if Quartus supports a way of exporting the files to simulate designs specifically for the Nios2 processor. Since this is protected IP I was not certain I could simulate it outside of QuestaSim 

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @prateekmohan,

Apologies for the confusion, we should be able to do so.
I am able to find an guide here for older version of quartus (design with Nios II processor), which are simulating with riviera pro.
Version might be old but I believe steps are still valid, but do take note there might be some updates in the tools look and feels, please do try out and let us know if that helps to clarify your doubts.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @prateekmohan,

Greetings, unfortunately as we do not receive any further clarification on what is provided. Hence thread will now be transitioned to community support where community users will further help you with doubts in this thread. For new queries, please feel free to open a new thread and we will be right with you. Pleasure having you here.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos