FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

Starting Arrow SoCkit CycloneV from QSPI problem

aleksey2m
Beginner

Hello,

I am using Arrow SoCKit Evaluation Board CycloneV SoC 5CSXFC6D6F31 and trying reassemble (recompile) GSRD/GHRD project with booting from QSPI capabilities (for instance I use GSRD: v13.1 - Booting from QSPI, GHRD: cv_soc_devkit_ghrd from quartus/embedded/examples). I’m using ubuntu12.04, quartus18.1, socEDS18.1.

After I get (after compilation) «socfpga.dtb» file I try to boot system from sd-mmc but system stop booting at "Starting kernel ..." stage. Can you help me?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

The GSRD is very old that you are using. If you have installed the SoC EDS 18.1, you may use the latest GHRD in the installation file provided. 

Did you get to boot till Uboot prompt before the kernel?

0 Kudos
aleksey2m
Beginner

Thank you for responding!)

I used GHRD from the quartus folder, 'intelFPGA/18.1/embedded/examples/hardware',

and as a step-by-step instruction, I took the article from 'https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/GSRD131QspiBoot'

Regardless of the choice in the bsp-editor BOOT_FROM_SDMMC or BOOT_FROM_QSPI

my build system ultimately refuses to start((

The only thing I can say is that if I use GHRD from the quartus 13.1 folder, and use quartus13.1 & socEDS13.1, then the boot is successful for me, but there I come across a partition markup problem, but this is already a secondary question.

Thus, I would like to understand how the assemblies are different in 13.1 / 18.1 and what needs to be changed in 18.1 in order to run successfully)

Thanks

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

There have been a lot of changes since 13.1 to 18.1, thus I suggest that you tried to boot using the 18.1 GHRD at first. If there are any problems let me know.

Release notes for 18.1 can be here:

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/ReleaseNotesAndContentsLTS

0 Kudos