FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5915 Discussions

Straightest way to compile a new kernel driver module?

Zarquin
New Contributor II

Dear Community,

there is a Rocket sample image on the SD card of my Cyclone V Soc development board.

Now I would like to create and test an own kernel driver module. I have already written the C code for it and copied it to a file on the Linux system on the SoC via the terminal connection. I thought I could compile the file on the Linux system, but there seems to be nothing on the system, neither the Linux kernel headers nor any update options via apt or similar. So it doesn't seem to be that simple.

Do I really have to go through the whole SoCEDS software development flow and build a new SD image only to compile a new kernel driver module? Or is there an easier way?

I usually work on a Windows system.
In a pinch, I also have a laptop with a  Mint system.

Any ideas?

Best regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IntelSupport

Hello Zarquin,

The roketboard has a training to develop Linux Driver as below.

WS3 Developing Drivers for Altera SoC Linux

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/WS3DevelopingDriversForAlteraSoCLinux

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/pub/Documentation/WS3DevelopingDriversForAlteraSoCLinux/WS3_Developing_Drivers_for_Altera_SoC.pdf

Please take a look at the training.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Zarquin
New Contributor II

Dear Intel Support,

OK then there seems to be no quicker way for compiling the driver module than the full software development flow. Too bad.

The "Rocket Training" has 217 foils. That's not really the shortcut I was looking for

Best Regards

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

I don’t think that your question has fully been addressed, But, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos