FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5918 Discussions

Stratix V Advanced Systems Development Kit SW4 Default Settings

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The documentation for the stratix v advanced systems development kit (https://www.altera.com/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/kit-stratix-v-advanced.html) seems to be incorrect in regards to the default settings for SW4. What is the correct default settings for that switch? Here is what the documentation illustrates: 

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13748&stc=1  

I want to set up this board so that it loads the designs stored in flash. According to the documentation, it states that SW4.6 needs to be in the ON position, but switch 6 is for Clock Selection... 

Thanks, 

QG
36 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Seems that my board is a bit different than what is on the Altera website. It doesn't seem to contain a 5SGXEA7N, but a totally different part and hence the BTS doesn't seem to run. It this correct? 

D:\altera\12.1\quartus\bin64>jtagconfig.exe --debug 

1) USB-BlasterII [USB-1] 

029250DD 5SGXEABK(1|2|3)/5SGXEABN1/.. (IR=10) 

Node 0C206E00 JTAG PHY# 0 

Node 0C206E01 JTAG PHY# 1 

Design hash FB653F76C0B16C4AADE5 

029250DD 5SGXEABK(1|2|3)/5SGXEABN1/.. (IR=10) 

Node 0C206E00 JTAG PHY# 0 

Node 0C206E01 JTAG PHY# 1 

Design hash 8E4E02F07546FCC33DB4 

020A40DD 5M(1270ZF324|2210Z)/EPM2210 (IR=10) 

Node 00406E01 (110:8)# 1 

Node 00406E00 (110:8)# 0 

Node 00406E7B (110:8)# 123 

Design hash 86229F1845461C797896 

Captured DR after reset = (029250DD029250DD020A40DD) [96] 

Captured IR after reset = (15555555) [30] 

Captured Bypass chain = (0) [3]
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is this what you have ? 

Revision D. No MoSys 72Mb chips No QDRII+ memory chips populated ? 

With fattest 5SGXEABN2F45N2 chips instead ? 

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13843&stc=1
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yep. Seems like the same board...Didn't realize that the MoSys and QDRII chips were missing :(. I'll have to go back and inspect the board more carefully as I didn't remove the fan assembly like you did...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just checked the board and it is exactly the same as yours. No MoSys nor QDRII chips, but with the faster and more LE-based FPGA. Do you have any software for the board, other than Quartus? The kit software doesn't seem to work for this board.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am little confused as well, the files on Altera/Intel website contains files for revision C, not D, as it marked on the PCB file, however PLX PCIe switch is on the top side and attached to the heatsink through thermoconductive resin, not like shown on the Altera's photo on the kit's Web page. Rev D actual PCB looks quite similar, I thing almost the same, but need to verify carefully. It has test blind-via pads on the bottom sides for most FPGA's ball pins. There is nothing complicated in this board, just be sure that all memory signals, XCVRs, power, and reset are connected the same way and match with errata chip. Otherwise need modify design files to actual wiring and/or apply errata workarounds if possible. 

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13851&stc=1  

MoSys chip MSR576 (BE1, first generation) for this board is not available anymore. MSR720, MSR820 are current BE2 (Bandwith engine 2) are available on an expansion board for Xilinx Virtex 7 Ultrascale kits. And it's really quite expensive thing ! Altera's design files for Stratix V Adv. Sys. Dev. Kit doesn't have IP for MoSys as well. I found than no any specific designs examples for this kit are available in Altera design store as well. 

Could easily solder all QDRII+ chips but it's look not actual in case of fat 5SGXEABN chip with enough internal memory cells. 

Looks like this board is customized for a specific corp. customer.  

I bought from liquidator warehouse for a really nothing price for such board especially when actually populated GXEABN is about twice expensive than GXEA7 one. 

Need to get answer from Altera to clear background behind rev. D board. I don't have any specific files for it as well.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Seems that my board is a bit different than what is on the Altera website. It doesn't seem to contain a 5SGXEA7N, but a totally different part and hence the BTS doesn't seem to run. It this correct? 

--- Quote End ---  

Confirmed. Same on mine. PowerMonitor and ClockControl appear to work, though.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Is this what you have ? 

Revision D. No MoSys 72Mb chips No QDRII+ memory chips populated ? 

With fattest 5SGXEABN2F45N2 chips instead ? 

--- Quote End ---  

Seems I have this too. Thanks for finding out the exact FPGA type. I stopped short of removing the heatsink from my board to find out (even without screws, it seems to stick pretty tight).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Need to get answer from Altera to clear background behind rev. D board. I don't have any specific files for it as well. 

--- Quote End ---  

Really interested as well. If the schematic is different than for the retail board, a world of hurt may be waiting ahead.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am little confused as well, the files on Altera/Intel website contains files for revision C, not D, as it marked on the PCB file, however PLX PCIe switch is on the top side and attached to the heatsink through thermoconductive resin, not like shown on the Altera's photo on the kit's Web page. 

--- Quote End ---  

Seems the retail photos are of an earlier revision than C. I've done a cursory comparison of my/our board and the retail photos, and aside from the U47 position, I only discovered a capacitor around the DC jack in a different position as well. But it all matches the revision C documentation. 

All in all, I'd say it's pretty likely that the schematic has not changed in any significant way, from revision C to D.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Guys, 

Did you get any answer from Altera for the past few month? 

Apparently I also purchased this revision from an eBay seller and struggling to make this board at least pass the test. 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

did anyone get this board working? 

I believe I bought the same board from the same ebay seller. 

I contacted Altera about this board and their answer was: 

> HI Markus, 

>  

> Kindly check with Terasic. According to Terasic, this kit is not ship out from Altera. 

>  

> Regards, 

>  

> Winnie 

Does this make any sense. 

The links on the Terasic site are pointing to the Altera website. 

I am getting confused ...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here are some facts I'd like to share with you guys because we keep getting more and more requests similar to the things you've been discussing. It's actually very funny from my perspective because if you have any problem with iPhone, you'd go to Apple first, not Foxconn.  

Fact No. 1 - You won't get any support/warranty/license from Altera (now Intel PSG) because this is a customized version of Stratix V Advanced Systems Development Kit originally made by Terasic for someone else. It's never in their official system.  

Fact No. 2 - Don't be surprised if the BTS which comes with the official Stratix V Advanced Systems Development Kit doesn't work on this modified version because the FPGA device is different. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do because the source code of its BTS is not released. Furthermore, the deal we made with that particular someone is there will be no documentation or tool given. This customized board was built as-is and it was built for that particular someone only.  

Fact No. 3 - The most significant changes on this customized version are removing parts and replacing the FPGA devices, so you can still refer to the schematic from the official website.  

I have no idea how such boards end up with your ebay seller from that particular someone and I'm quite interested in how much you purchased from there. The difference must be huge for you to ignore what I just said, but then you probably didn't know anything about any of these upon purchase or you simply want to get larger FPGA devices.  

I honestly don't know why Altera MySupport keeps pushing all the related inquires to us after we told them the entire history, but I guess they just get used to do things this way.  

Dav from Terasic
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would say, there is strange behavior of all parties. 

Those boards were bought by customer "H". Both Altera and Terasic got paid for it. 

"H" decided to sell the boards, and new owners have questions about using the hardware they purchased. 

No warranty or software licensing issue have risen, but a request for tech docs for the hardware Terasic manufactured, sold and get paid for. 

If you made any changes (significant or not), it can't be done without proper documentation.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dav, 

first many thanks for replying in the forum. 

--- Quote Start ---  

It's actually very funny from my perspective because if you have any problem with iPhone, you'd go to Apple first, not Foxconn.  

--- Quote End ---  

For you this might be funny. For me not. I'm getting pushed around between the guy I bought this board, Altera and now you. As I wrote you, I was first contacting Altera and they said I should contact Terasic about this board. 

--- Quote Start ---  

I have no idea how such boards end up with your ebay seller from that particular someone and I'm quite interested in how much you purchased from there. The difference must be huge for you to ignore what I just said, but then you probably didn't know anything about any of these upon purchase or you simply want to get larger FPGA devices.  

--- Quote End ---  

I'm clearly in the section "didn't know anything about any of these upon purchase". I was expecting to buy a "Stratix V GX FPGA Development Kit", not an Advanced kit and surely not a custom board. 

The boards come in a sealed Altera package with the picture of a "Stratix V GX FPGA Development Kit" on. 

so, how could i have known? 

FYI, this is the offer where I bought it: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/stratix-v-gx-fpga-development-kit/201961152917?hash=item2f05d2a195:g:j84aaoswgv5zprmo 

Is there any chance you could at least release the pin assignments, etc? 

Best regards, 

Markus
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I'm clearly in the section "didn't know anything about any of these upon purchase". I was expecting to buy a "Stratix V GX FPGA Development Kit", not an Advanced kit and surely not a custom board. The boards come in a sealed Altera package with the picture of a "Stratix V GX FPGA Development Kit" on. so, how could i have known? 

--- Quote End ---  

Some people in the chain are probably playing dumb. We have two of these, and can't use them because Altera refuses to issue the Quartus licenses for these 'custom' boards. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Is there any chance you could at least release the pin assignments, etc? 

--- Quote End ---  

Compared to the retail board the custom one just has bigger FPGAs, and no external SRAM is fitted (QDR or Mosys). Some support stuff for the retail board is hardwired for the retail board FPGA and hence won't work on the custom board. But there don't seem to be any other differences (including schematic).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Looking at all the hue and cry for support on this board, here's what I think after looking at the photo's of the ones posted and the ones on the Intel(Altera) site.  

1. This S5 Advanced kit may have been manufactured by Altera/terasic and since the FPGAs in question are different from the original board contents as to what Intel/Altera website says, this is no longer an Intel/Altera/Terasic manufactured board.  

2. This board looks like a re-worked board. They must have gotten some of the original Altera board and replaced the original S5 FPGAs with cheaper S5 versions, removed the memory and components and sell them. This explains why the original board costs $14000 and this one's sold on Ebay for $1250!! Do you think that this will be the original one , that too at so much of a price difference?  

I'd say , these boards may have been defective and sold off for a cheaper rate. This seller company on Ebay (who's selling them) have procured them and done re-work on them. This is why you got the boards without warranty, software, etc . 

From the image posted on Ebay, it doesn't look "New" to me. Rather like old board that has been re-conditioned.  

Bottom-line: If you're gonna buy development kits/board, buy it from an authorized retailer/vendor. This way you know what you're getting is original, tested and works. If you get them from online ecomm sites like Ebay from other unknown sellers, you don't know what you're getting. It will be like opening a Pandora's box.  

These are just my thoughts on this issue.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

1. <snipped> 2. <snipped> 

--- Quote End ---  

Speculation is irrelevant. Based on the serial numbers, what the board actually is has been confirmed by Terasic (they supplied it, special order, to some big customer (I know which one, but it's hardly relevant here)). 

--- Quote Start ---  

3. This board looks like a re-worked board. 

--- Quote End ---  

It isn't. It is brand new. 

--- Quote Start ---  

They must have gotten some of the original Altera board and replaced the original S5 FPGAs with cheaper S5 versions, removed the memory and components and sell them. 

--- Quote End ---  

The FPGAs on this custom board are 5SGXEABN2F45C2. They are bigger and considerably more expensive ($13500 vs. $9000 each) than the ones on the retail board, which are 5SGXEA7N2F45C2.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

From the image posted on Ebay, it doesn't look "New" to me. Rather like old board that has been re-conditioned.  

--- Quote End ---  

This is new old stock. 

• The box has scratches, but it is still factory sealed.This is also clearly visible on the photos on ebay. 

• The board inside is also factory sealed. 

• The board inside is definitely new. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Bottom-line: If you're gonna buy development kits/board, buy it from an authorized retailer/vendor. This way you know what you're getting is original, tested and works. If you get them from online ecomm sites like Ebay from other unknown sellers, you don't know what you're getting. It will be like opening a Pandora's box.  

These are just my thoughts on this issue. 

--- Quote End ---  

You might be right, but not everyone on this planet has enough money for that. This kit is advertised as a Stratix V GX Development Kit, not the Advanced. So 1250 USD for an 5 year old item with a MSRP of 7000 USD is not outside of what I would expect valid.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Both Terasic and Altera are facing reputation risk now. Altera Teachers like "eapenabrm" just make it worse.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Both Terasic and Altera are facing reputation risk now. Altera Teachers like "eapenabrm" just make it worse. 

--- Quote End ---  

I really wouldn't be that harsh with Altera and Terasic. I can somewhat understand their position and therefore for me reputation risk sounds a little too strong. But I believe especially Altera should think about their communication strategy. Personally I feel quite bad handled by their customer support. 

I believe ultimately the guy putting a custom Terasic board into a Altera development kit box without adding a little "custom board" sticker should be blamed for the confusion. Such a sticker would have helped really a lot.
0 Kudos