FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5922 Discussions

What is JTAG Debug Level 3 for Nios II?

dsmirnov
New Contributor I

Hello everyone,

I would like to trace program execution on the Nios II. One way - to buy Lauterbach - not interesting. Second way - use SignalTap II and .objdump file - pretty well, but still. And now I see in the Level 3 of JTAG Debug window "On-chip Trace". I didn't find any information, except that I can choose the size of OCI Onchip Trace. But I don't understand how to manage with it: start/stop/read. A little info is in manual https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/nios2/n2cpu-nii5v1gen2.pdf

But it tells only about the abilities, not about instruments or ways.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
dsmirnov
New Contributor I

Dear Embedded_guy,

Thank you for response, but the first link is only describe the ability, but has no comments, for example, how to get whole data from JTAG Debug level 3 onchip buffer

As for the second link - yes, in 2009 this feature were available, I even checked Nios II 10.0 IDE to test it - and it worked! But the same feature for Nios II gen2 or for Nios II classic in Q13.1 and later is absent. Even profiling doesn't work properly

Regards,

Daniil

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee
Hi, The debugger level shows the level of targeted components in the debugger. The following video show you how to debug a NIOS II application https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VExM1gtWUCA Note: Normally you must set the optimization and debug levels the same for the application, the BSP, and all user libraries in a software project. If you mix settings, you cannot debug those components which do not have debug settings. For example, if you compile your BSP with the -O0 flag and without the -g flag, you cannot step into the newlib printf() function
dsmirnov
New Contributor I

Dear Embedded_guy,

Thank you for your answer. I watched the video and it is just about regular software debug, while I'm asking

about Tracing mode and profiling the code. I understand how to use Debug, but sometimes it is not enough.

I found trace working in Nios II EDS with Quartus 10.0, but in fresh Nios SBT there is nothing about it.

I can choose on of five levels of debug, anf the 3rd one tells, that I can use On-chip trace.

I also don't understand your phrase "The debugger level shows the level of targeted components in the debugger."

By the level of targeted components - what do you mean?

Also thank you for your note, I've checked flags for compilation, they are identical

0 Kudos
ABola2
Novice
0 Kudos
ABola2
Novice

It is interesting,

Sorry for interrupting, do you mean that I cannot find the debug level in the new GUI? I am not sure but you still can use the shell commands.

Correct?

0 Kudos
dsmirnov
New Contributor I

Dear ABola2,

Let us first of all determine what the debug level means.

In my questions debug level is about hardware part of the project, which I can choose in Qsys/Platform Designer

I just use "level" because of the Nios II classic form of choice (pic.1). Btw sorry for 5 levels, there are actually four,

I just included the absent of debug as level.

nios_classic.jpg

Pic.1 Nios II classic JTAG Debug settings

As for the Nios II gen2 I just can turn JTAG Debug on and choose what

functions of Debug I need. For example, I can turn on the Onchip Trace (pic.2)

nios_gen2.jpg

Pic.2 Nios II gen 2 JTAG Debug settings

So I turn this on, and then... I'm not sure if there is any instrument

for the new Quartus which support Tracing mode, or even profiling mode

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee
Hi H Danill and Amanda, In the NIOS II GUI you are able to set the debug level as previously but Intel now gives you more flexibility to edit the debug level and utilize the resources. So instead of just selecting the dbug level which will select automatically the required resources now you can set the required resources by yourfelf. Please check the attached page which contains Table 4-7 that has a detailed list of the characteristics of each debug level. Different levels consume different amounts of on-chip resources. As an example you can set the same characteristics of Level 2 as shown in the table with the new GUI as follows: Hardware Breakpoints=2 Data triggers=2 Trace Types= None Trace storage=None On-Chip Trace Frame Size= 128 Please check Table 4-7 here: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/nios2/n2cpu_nii5v1.pdf#page=120
0 Kudos
dsmirnov
New Contributor I

Dear Embedded_guy

Thank you for this information, but I guess you don't understand my question.

I got you, by Nios II GUI you mean Platform Designer IP customization, by debug level you mean hardware level.

Now my question is - when I choose with new GUI:

Hardware Breakpoints=0

Data triggers=0

Trace Types= Instruction and Data Trace

Trace storage= On-chip Trace

On-Chip Trace Frame Size= 128

Where can I get this Trace information? What software should I use during the trace?

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee
I think you already mentioned using SignalTap II and .objdump file, Can you give more description?
0 Kudos
dsmirnov
New Contributor I

Yes, but saying in advance - by using SignalTap I do not need even Debug to be turned on, so the settings for trace is for something another.

I used this manual: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an446.pdf

But since it is only from 2011 I haven't found any information if it is nios trace replacement, and this analysis is not very good for tracing

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee
Hi, First of all, you can choose the debug level in the Eclipse to meet the settings you put in the Qsys design so you can use the features in the NIOS Debug please review the shared documents before. Here you can find good references for tracing and debugging https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/wp/wp-01198-fpga-software-debug-soc.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/nios2/edh_ed51003.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an543.pdf http://www2.lauterbach.com/pdf/debugger_nios.pdf Regards,
0 Kudos
dsmirnov
New Contributor I

Dear Embedded_guy,

About debug level in Eclipse. I didn't find any document which describes this little setting. Anyway, by turning on the same level of debug in project settings I now can profile my code, but still no trace is still avaliable from Eclipse, or I just didn't find how to turn it on yet.

-The first link is about SoC systems with ARM, so it doesn't helpful for me since i'm about Nios

-The second link is better, but, unfortunately, it is about Nios II, not Nios II gen2, moreover, it is dated as December 2009... Are you sure that everythinf is the same? (spoiler - no)

-The third link describes OFFCHIP trace, while my question is about ONCHIP trace

-The fourth link is about software for using of the third's link OFFCHIP tracing

Unfortunately your answers doesn't help at all, so I don't know if it is me asking too bad or support-team don't know what the right answer is.

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee
Hi Daniil, please refer to the second link, it is the correct one for NIOS II. Gen 2 will not affect this document. Please refer to it https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/nios2/edh_ed51003.pdf Regards,
0 Kudos
dsmirnov
New Contributor I

Dear Embedded_guy,

While Q18 is already released, I'm not quite sure that this document is still useful (December 2009??). Let me desribe what I'm talking about.

• First description of Debug I can find on the page 3-6: Nios II GDB Console and GDB Commands

This kind of debug is about GDB, no word about trace

• There is a few words about FS2 Console, which gives ability to trace(!). Here is the quote:

For more details about the Nios II-compatible version of the FS2 console, refer to the FS2-provided documentation in your Nios II installation, at \bin\fs2\doc.

Let's look inside:

no_fs2.jpg

There is no FS2 directory inside to check any information. There is no ability to call it from Nios2 Shell or cmd.

• SignalTap II Embedded Logic Analyzer - I can use it for tracing BUT I don't even need the debugger in Nios core for it, so it doesn't count
  • Lauterbach Trace32 - this kind of debug needs extra hardware, also it is an OFF-CHIP trace

That's all. It doesn't answer my question about ON-CHIP trace abilities promised by Platform Designer.

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee
Hi Daniil, It seems the information is not clear and precised. I will try to find if Intel has the required info. I agree with you, it should be mentioned clearly. Regards,
0 Kudos
materigoprecitec
Beginner

Hi!

Is there any news related to this on chip trace?

I would like to use this feature myself in a project, but I could not figure out how to use it.

I am in the same boot as the OP: dsmirnov

Any new information would be appreciated.

Cheers!

0 Kudos