Hi,Does anyone know which Poky/Yocto git repository 'branches' I should be using with the Arrow Cyclone V socKit - I've tried the one mentioned on the rocketboard site ('altera danny'), but have hit one or two compile errors (usually in the kernel build area). A test build (not targeted at altera, just x86) of poky/yocto 'daisy' using QEMU works fine. Also the 'stand-alone' Altera build examples (for the boot loader and kernel) also compile ok. I've been using centOS 7 as the host OS, but was about to try openSUSE 13.1, just in case the host distro was too new. I just want to confirm I'm starting from the right place, before getting into the details of what the errors actually are, (although on quick inspection the issues appear to have been patched in up-stream versions, but I have not confirmed this properly). I also notice the poky branches for 'altera socfpga' seem to be pretty far behind (i.e. mostly 'danny', and one mention of 'dylan' in the rocketboard git repo)... Thanks, Ken B.
Hi Ken,Try posting a question on the U-Boot mailing list. The guys at Denx and Altera's SoC guys have been chatting back-and-forth and posting a gazillion patches for U-Boot. You could ask them what they recommend. Since the Altera SoC support code appears to be finally getting mainlined, I figure its time to take a look at these devices. I'll order an SoCKit from Arrow today, and I've asked them to make sure I get the latest hardware revision (which looks like Rev D). I'll be interested in hearing what you needed to do to build from scratch (or at least which git trees you had to use and which tags). If you fail miserably, then at least you'll have company soon :) Cheers, Dave
Thanks for the reply Dave,I'll have a look - I'm finding moving over to a Linux embedded environment a pretty frustrating process after using a variety of real time OS's for years - I suppose it's just a different mind-set :) Ken B.
Just a (very late) update - I did find a solution to this:I ended up using an OpenSUSE 13.2 host with Angstrom, (from the Rocketboards.org/angstrom-socfpga.git repository - branch origin/angstrom-v2014.06-socfpga). I had to make the following "hack" changes to get "bitbake" to complete without errors (still have plenty of warnings) - this was when running the recipes for linux-altera-ltsi, small-image, and meta-toolchain-qte: 1) Fails to find meta-kde layers. Fix: Had to hand install meta-kde - URL for git repo changed, actually kde4 now: Install kde4 git repo, then change meta-kde4 directory name to meta-kde seemed to work. i.e. from within /source directory, enter: git clone git://gitorious.org/openembedded-core-layers/meta-kde.git, then rename created /meta-kde4 directory as /meta-kde. 2) Fails to compile eglibc libraries. Fix: Mod’ed meta-linaro Eglibc recipe so linaro 2.19 binaries found in another repo. Change the following .bb: /sources/meta-linaro/meta-linaro-toolchain/recipes-core/eglibc/eglibc_linaro-2.19.bb First SRC_URI item (for eglibc tar ball) changes to: https://snapsshots.linaro.org/openembedded/source/eglibc-$(PV)-$(RELEASE).tar.bz2. 3) Pseudo command does not compile. Fix: Add PARRALLEL_MAKE = “” to turn of multi-processor build during build of ‘pseudo’ command recipe (.bb) (OE ‘meta’ ‘/recipes-dev-tools’ recipes) – seemed to fix repeatable ‘bad compile’ issue. 4) Fails to complete ‘packaging’ stage of image creation. Fix: Change /meta-altera/conf/socfpga_cyclone5 to "socfpga-cyclone5" and the same again for the text within the file – opkg does not like “_” characters in file names. After apply the above changes, I was able to make a Qt 4.8 SDK and run my Qt application on the TerASIC board, (including debug) - finally!