FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
4953 Discussions

communication with DE0-nano board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello, 

I want to make a LED display controled by DE0-nano board. My idea is that I write a Java application that will make the movie frames, transfer it to binary code. Somehow send this binary data to DE0-nano 32MB memmory and the board will control the LEDs. 

I am stucked in sending that binary data to board. As i heard the USB onboard is there only for programming, right? Can you give me some advice how to transfer the data there? 

Maybe using this FT232R ( http://www.ftdichip.com/products/ics/ft232r.htm ). Or is there an easier way with some module with ethernet connection. Maybe some another board? 

Pleasse help me, I need this for my school project.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

The USB on the DE0-Nano will work both ways (I think). If I remember correctly, the test software/firmware from Terasic uses the USB to control the LEDs on the DE0-Nano board. At the very least, it will display the accelerometer's information from the DE0-Nano. 

It might be possible to make use of the firmware already in place and write a software app to emulate the test software's USB interface.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thanks for reply, 

you are right the test software can do it, but I wasn´t able to make it. Is there some guide or some C/Java application code that can help me? Or the application code of test software?