FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5931 Discussions

de0-Nano SPI slave implementation VHDL

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I just got hold of a DE0-Nano board. I'm trying to implement a very simple SPI (nano as slave). At the moment I just want to be able to continuously latch in a value, and then read it back out using an MCU, confirming there is communication at a basic level. I have assigned pins (just using the pin planner, naming the GPIO's im using) hooked up and programmed the board, I know my MCU SPI code works, but I notice I'm not getting anything on my MISO at all.. despite correct operation using a vector waveform analysis. 

I'm wondering if there are additional steps to do with configuring the pins that I have not taken, or if I need to enable some system clock? I have some experience using VHDL and the DE0-Nano, but that was at uni, using templates provided. 

Code is below for reference. All im doing is looking for the rising edge of what would be SCLK on a GPIO input, and shifting through bits while device select is low. 

Thanks for any help, I'll be busy reading the instruction manual in the mean time. 

Cheers, Chris. 

library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.numeric_std.all; entity SPI1 is port ( RESET : in std_logic; SERIAL_CLK : in std_logic; SERIAL_IN : in std_logic; SLAVE_SELECT : in std_logic; PARALLEL_OUT : out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0) := "00000000"; SERIAL_OUT : out std_logic := '0' ); end entity SPI1; architecture v1 of SPI1 is signal DATA : std_logic_vector(7 downto 0) := "00000000"; signal BIT_COUNT : integer range 0 to 8 := 0; type LATCH is (enabled, disabled); signal LATCH_STATE : LATCH := disabled; begin process(SERIAL_CLK, RESET, SLAVE_SELECT) begin if(rising_edge(SERIAL_CLK)) then if(SLAVE_SELECT = '0') then if(BIT_COUNT <=7) then SERIAL_OUT <= DATA(7); LATCH_STATE <= disabled; DATA <= DATA(6 downto 0) & SERIAL_IN; BIT_COUNT <= BIT_COUNT + 1; end if; elsif(SLAVE_SELECT='1' and BIT_COUNT = 8) then BIT_COUNT <= 0; SERIAL_OUT <= '0'; LATCH_STATE <= enabled; end if; end if; end process; process(LATCH_STATE) begin if(LATCH_STATE = enabled) then PARALLEL_OUT <= DATA( 7 downto 0); end if; end process; end architecture v1;
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You are not reading RESET value anywhere, althoug it is present at the sensitivity list of the process. 

I'm not sure if this matters in regard to the problem, but you could check this.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You are not reading RESET value anywhere, althoug it is present at the sensitivity list of the process. 

I'm not sure if this matters in regard to the problem, but you could check this. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for the input. I cut out the reset on a whim to make testing simpler, makes no difference if its included or not though sadly. 

Cheers, Chris.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Think I've found the problem now, I'll upload the solution when I have it.

0 Kudos