FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5950 Discussions

problem with the data transmitted from ethernet

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I use tse to transmit the data to my 3c120 board, and my problem is that which output pins are the data transmitted, i see there is "fsa","fsd","enet_rxd[3:0]", what's their difference? 

Also, i see the ddr2_dq pin, can i access the data directly from that? 

Thanks! 

Jeorge
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I assume you have the user's guide for the board. I think you're referring to this board: 

ftp://ftp.altera.com/outgoing/devkit/cycloneiii_3c120_dev_kit-v9.0.2.exe 

The board uses a Marvell 88E111 10/100/1000 ethernet PHY. This uses a GMII interfaces. Looking at the example projects, these are the corresponding pins: 

// ethernet interface 

enet_mdc, // mdio clock 

enet_mdio, // mdio data 

enet_rx_clk, // receive clock 

enet_tx_en, // transmit enable 

enet_gtx_clk, // 125MHz transmit clock (for gigabit) 

enet_rxd, // receive data 

enet_txd, // transmit data 

enet_rx_dv, // receive data valid 

enet_resetn // reset (negated) 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you Jake! So the pin i mentioned like fsa is of no use if i want to access the data?  

Another problem is that why the enet_rxd/enet_txd is a [3:0] one? that means the data is stucked at a 4 bit width?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I must make a correction. It appears that on your board, the pins are connected to the RGMII interface of the PHY. The difference being that the interface runs at double-data rate. So while the data bus in either direction is 4 bits, data is transferred on both edges of the clock producing 8 bits per clock. 

If you intend to interface with the ethernet PHY, you really ought to consider using an ethernet MAC like the Altera Triple-Speed Ethernet MAC. If nothing else, you ought to read over it's documentation so as to understand the interface. 

http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_ethernet.pdf 

Jake
0 Kudos